┊vii. seven

Eden couldn't sleep a wink last night, neither could Gwen who had ended up staying the night with her after her father was dispatched. For some reason the blonde hated being at home when her dad was called out, she never explained it to her friend and probably never would but Eden never minded.

As for the dark haired girl, her thoughts were racing around one lanky brunette boy. Ever since he shared his secret with her and leapt off her balcony, she had been worried out of her mind. She had hoped for at least a text from him ensuring he was safe, but she never got one.

Searching for Peter Parker in the chaos of the early morning hallways seemed to be becoming routine for Eden lately. Her heart was racing in her chest when she couldn't find him anywhere, her mind immediately jumping to the worst case scenario.

"Are you camping out by my locker now?" his all too familiar voice sounds from behind her, a smug smile plastered across his face. Eden launches her hand at him, smacking his shoulder harshly. "Ow!"

"Oh please, you deserved that." she rolls her eyes. "You can't just tell me that...what you told me last night and expect to act normal!"

Peter pulls his locker door open, his eyes never leaving her own. "That's actually why I told you, so you'd stop acting so weird around me."

"Yeah, well, you failed."

"I can see that." he smiles fondly, shutting his locker and grabbing hold of her hand. "Come on, I've got something to show you."

Eden was startled to say the least, her hand felt like it was burning where he was holding it and Peter had never been so forward with her before. She had become all too accustomed to him being all timid and shy and keeping his space around her, but she couldn't say she was complaining really.

He drags all the way out to the courtyard towards the corner bench they always sat at, away from prying ears and eyes. Placing his hands on her shoulder, he pushes her down so she's sat and starts rummaging through his back pack.

It takes him a few seconds but he finally pulls out a small jar with a tiny spider layer out within it. Eden clutches it tightly between her fingers, holding it up to look at it clearer.

"Is this what bit you?" she breathes, looking up at him, gaining a nod. "This is amazing. Who else has seen this?"

"You're the only person that knows about any of this." Peter shrugs, looking down shyly.

Eden's eyes widen and she turns to look at him with a wide smile. "I don't think ever felt more flattered."

The boy lets out a quiet chuckle. "I don't really think I can trust anyone else."

And there it was again, the familiar rush of blood to her head and swirling in the pits of her stomach. Eden just couldn't help the way he made her feel, how nervous and happy she became whenever she was around him. But she knew she had to keep her cool.

"What happened on the bridge?" she asks, her voice quiet even though no one was around them.

Peter sighs as he turns to face her fully. "I don't what that thing was, but it was big. Too big to be human."

"Whatever it was, you have to try to lay low. You've got every precinct in New York on your ass."

The boy shakes his head rapidly. "I can't do that. Those people last night, whatever it was that was attacking them it would have killed them. I gotta go after it."

Eden's heart swelled in her chest, both at his braveness and his stupidness. The feeling of fear for him had been brewing in her since he told her the truth about his double life. Her hand reaches for his own, their coldness contrasting her owns warmth, her thumb instinctively rubbing across his skin.