Chapter 17 (Year 3)

"What is going on here?" James yelled, as he entered and stormed in, pointing his wand directly at Peter, who started walking backward until his back hit the wall. Charlotte stood in front of Peter. Harry and Hermione ran over to Ron, asking if he was okay, and what was going on.

"Harry, Pettigrew was the rat. Your bloody sister has been working for Pettigrew this whole time." Ron whispered, weakly.

"What?

"She's been helping him." He whispered.

"Why?"

"I don't know. She took the rat out of my shirt, and then the rat became Pettigrew."

"Expelliarmus!" Charlotte yelled and caught James's and Sirius's wand. Sirius took out his wand and pointed at Peter.

"Both of you need to stop and listen!" Charlotte shouted.

"Charlotte, move, now," James said, as he glared at Peter, whose fears were slowly increasing as he looked between Sirius and James. Sirius walked closer and glared at Peter behind James' shoulder.

"No."

"You don't understand, he tried to kill us! He tried to kill you!" James yelled.

"It wasn't him, James! Please listen to Peter! It wasn't him." Charlotte begged.

"Stop being a coward and hiding behind my daughter." James hissed.

"He's not a coward! Just listen!" James grabbed Charlotte's arm and tried to pull her away, but she grabbed onto Peter's arm just as Remus burst into the room.

"Finally took your sweet ass time! What were you doing, sleeping?" Charlotte shouted at Remus. She needed all of them here, and Remus was taking the longest. Remus looked at everyone, confused.

"What's going on? Why are we not calling the dementors or something?"

"Dementors?" Peter shouted as he looked at Charlotte.

"Peter, tell them! Tell them what really happened! James just gives him five minutes, that's all I ask." Charlotte cried. She had tears in her eyes.

"Please listen to me, James. It's been fourteen years since I last saw you, please," Peter whispered.

"What are you talking about? It's been twelve." Sirius said. Peter shook his head.

"Not for me. For me, it's been fourteen."

Peter started telling his story. Sirius and Remus's faces turned from anger to confusion and sadness, but James's face was the worst one. He was completely devastated by what his friend had gone through without him.

But just as he finished the story, Snape took off the cloak, not even letting James, Sirius, or Remus take in the news of Peter's innocence.

Finally, they would get what they deserve!

"You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here? I've just been to your office, Lupin. You forgot to take your potion tonight, so I took a gobletful along. And very lucky I did... lucky for me, I mean. Lying on your desk was a certain map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I saw you running along this passageway and out of sight."

"Severus-"

"I've told the headmaster again and again that you're helping your old friend Pettigrew into the castle, Lupin, and here's the proof. Not even I dreamed you would have the nerve to use this old place as your hideout —"

"Severus, you're making a mistake! I can explain — I'm not here to kill Harry —" Peter yelled, but Severus shook his head.

"Shall be interested to see how Dumbledore takes this... He was quite convinced you were harmless, you know, Lupin... a tame werewolf —" Snape smirked at Lupin.