Chapter 38 (summer)

They woke up bright and early on the day of the trial. James, Lily, Charlotte, and Harry had walked to the Ministry before they had been alerted that the time changed and ran down to the courtroom.

"Aren't-aren't you coming with- "Harry asked his parents.

"No, No, we're not allowed! Good luck!" Lily said as Harry walked inside, looking very pale, and his hands seem to be shaking.

The three of them were silent. James started pacing, running a hand through his hair every couple second, Lily tapped her foot against the ground, staring at the clock. Charlotte was watching the hallway waiting for Dumbledore to appear.

Finally, two minutes later, Dumbledore walked through the hallway.

"Harry's in there?"

"Yes,"

"Okay, remember to wait for my single Charlotte," Dumbledore said. Charlotte nodded, as Dumbledore pushed the door open.

---

"Who is the witness?" Percy Weasley asked as he opened the door, looking over the three Potters.

"I am," Charlotte said.

"Please come in then," Percy said. Charlotte nodded, her heart starting to race. She wiped her hands on her jeans and followed Percy in. Dumbledore stood up and offered me his chair, before conjuring himself another one.

"Full Name?" Fudge asked, in a bored, annoyed voice.

"Charlotte James Potter," Charlotte said, in what she hoped to be a confident voice.

"And who exactly are you?"

"I'm James and Lily Potter's daughter, Harry Potter's sister. And I live with Harry Potter." I explained.

"His sister? Really Dumbledore, you brought his sister." Fudge said Dumbledore did not reply.

"Very well. What is your story?" Fudge asked.

"Well, I asked Harry if he wanted to play quidditch in the backyard. We stayed out there for I don't know how long, but a couple of hours. We finished our game, and we put our things away in the quidditch shed. Harry and I were walking back to our house when I started hearing a sound from the distance. When they got closer, I could see dementors gliding towards us-"

"What did they look like?" Madam Bones asked, narrowing her eyes at me.

"They were huge, even bigger in person, and they were wearing cloaks that covered their heads," Charlotte explained.

"Big and wearing cloaks." Madam Bones said as Fudge snorted at Charlotte.

"I see, anything else?" Madam Bones asked.

"Yes, well, I felt them. I felt all my happiness being drained away, and any happiness around me was gone. I felt very cold, which was strange because I had been overheating from the quidditch match and was sweating. I started remembering horrible things from my childhood. It was horrible." Charlotte cleared her throat, feeling it shaking as she spoke.

"What did the dementors do?" Madam Bones asked, her eyes widened a little.

"They came at us. I didn't have my wand. I left it upstairs in my room. I didn't think I would need it, we're in our backyard, so I couldn't do anything. I heard Harry yell the Patronus spell, I think, once before one of the dementors grabbed me. It grabbed me by my neck- "Charlotte stopped, her voice shaking more. She laced her fingers together, trying to calm down, and she shut her eyes and sighed.

"It slammed me against my house wall. I could see under its cloak now. It was a terrifying view. Just an ugly mouth. I think I screamed I'm not sure, and I could hear Harry struggling with his dementor, and then my dementor opened its mouth and I felt everything slipping away from me. Finally, Harry or my dad had gotten the dementors away from me. I remember falling to the ground and feeling very weak. The dementors had disappeared by then. That is what happened."

Madam Bones stared at Charlotte in silence, while Fudge shifted his papers, never looking at Charlotte until she finished.

"That's what happened to you and what you saw." Fudge said rather aggressively.

"That is what happened," Charlotte said, trying not to snap at Fudge. She glared up at him in the same rude manner he was showing her.

"Very well." Fudge said, Charlotte looked over at Dumbledore, who nodded at her to leave, and she quietly stood up and walked out the room.

---

"How did it go?" Lily and James asked as Harry walked out.

"Cleared of all charges!" Harry said. Lily and James laughed, relieved, as they hugged Harry.

"We knew you had nothing to worry about! They would be stupid to put charges on you." Lily said, pushing Harry's hair out of his face as laughed.

"Let's go, celebrate- "The door opened and the full courtroom walked out.

"You were tried by the full court?" James asked Harry, who nodded.

"I think so." He said, quietly. Many of the wizards and witches nodded at the Potters and said good morning, but Fudge and Umbridge, who Charlotte hadn't noticed in the courtroom, ignored them.

"Well, let's get going, and tell the others! They are waiting for us." James said.

---

"I knew it! You always get away with stuff!" Ron yelled, punching the air.

"They were bound to clear you, there was no case against you, none at all," Hermione said, but her hands gave her away. They were shaking as she rubbed her eyes.

"Everyone seems quite relieved, though, considering you all knew I'd get off," Harry teased.

"He got off, he got off, he got off..." Fred, George, and Ginny were shouting.