Chapter 39 (Summer)

Soon it was the last day of the summer holiday. Everyone's Hogwarts letters had arrived that morning. Ron and Hermione had been made Prefects, and Mrs. Weasley threw a party for them that same night.

"Well, I think a toast is in order," Mr. Weasley said, as he smiled proudly at Ron.

"To Ron and Hermione, our new prefects."

"I was never a Prefect myself. My Head of House said I lacked certain necessary qualities." Tonks said after she finished her drink, and they all started grabbing plates of food.

"Like what?" Ginny asked.

"Like the ability to behave myself." Tonks joked, and Ginny and Charlotte laughed.

"What about you guys?" Ginny asked Sirius and Peter. They both shook their heads.

"I would never be considered for prefect. They knew James would abuse my power and make me give Gryffindor a million points." Peter smirked as he tied his long hair back.

"That's not true!" James said. Peter, Sirius, Remus, and Lily all gave James the same look.

"Okay, maybe a little true."

"No one would have made me a prefect. I spent too much time in detention with James. Lupin was the good boy. He got the badge." Sirius said, gesturing with his fork at Remus.

"I think Dumbledore might have hoped I would be able to exercise some control over my best friends. I need scarcely say that I failed dismally." Remus shook his head, but he had a grin on his face.

"So you never got the badge either, James?" Tonks asked, James smirked.

"No, I did. I got my badge in year six and became the head boy in year seven, and then Lily fell madly in love with me once she saw me wearing it." James said, proudly. Lily shook her head.

"That's not how it happened."

"That's how I remember it." Said James, as he shoved food in his mouth.

"Do you three remember it like that?" Lily asked the other three.

"No."

"Not exactly."

"Ha! No."

James glared at them.

"As my best friends, you should have said yes!" The three of them shrugged.

"Doesn't matter. I won you over in the end," James said. He grabbed Lily's chair and pulled it closer to him, before kissing her on the lips.

"Ew, Dad."

"Tell me when it's over," Harry and Charlotte both said. Charlotte covered her eyes while Harry took his glasses off.

---

It was a twenty-minute walk to King's crossing station the next morning, after a rough morning, with a lot of screaming from Mrs. Weasley, they managed to get there on time. Remus and Moody both said goodbye to everyone once they got them safely to the station.

"Now, remember to write when you get there. And stay out of trouble this year. Try not to get in trouble," Charlotte said,

"I never get in trouble... on purpose." Harry shrugged, and James chuckled as Lily shook her head at him.

Charlotte looked around the station as her Mum drilled into Harry about how he needs to stay out of trouble this year. She spotted Draco by his family. His Mum was fixing his tie while his Dad stood next to her, whispering something that only the three of them could hear. He was clearly ignoring his father as he looked around the station before seeing Charlotte.