What a Way to Start a Pool Party

Athemar Stone, much like his wife, had long suspected that his fiery, independent daughter would not remain content for long in keeping her lineage a secret, so when his wife told him as much in his study, he wasn't in the least bit surprised.

The fallout of releasing that information would undoubtedly be large, but with time, patience, and enough skilful manoeuvring, he believed he could mitigate the fallout.

What was not expected, however, was the news Kyria told him next, about a prophecy that almost certainly was talking about his daughter. As his wife finished explaining everything, he found himself reeling in shocked silence.

He could hardly believe it was true, but he knew that it must be; Kyria believed it and she would not take such a matter lightly. Quiet consumed the room for a few minutes before she spoke again. "She will need us, Athemar, more than ever before. Not just me, but both of us. I feat that her future will be incredibly tumultuous, and she will need the guidance of as many people as possible whom she knows will only have her best interest at heart, nothing more or less."

Athemar sighed and rubbed his temple, leaning on his desk. "I know you are right, Kyria. I will try to be a better father. I know that I have not been one before, but I wish to be."

He looked distressed as he spoke, an emotion foreign to his proud, composed features, and Kyria found herself reaching across his desk to take his hand. "But you have grown. Even in this year alone, I have seen it. I have faith in you, as does Ivy."

He turned his hand over so that Kyria's was holding it, not just resting atop it, and smiled gently. "Thank you." he couldn't have said for what without listing things forever, but she seemed to understand what he meant.

"My pleasure," with that she squeezed his hand and stood, leaving the room quietly. She knew her husband well enough to know when he wanted to be alone to think, and this was without a doubt one of those times.

As she shut the door softly behind her and began the walk up to her bedroom, she thought deeply about her husband's words. He seemed genuine, but what would come of it remained to be seen. He had two options; he could recede into the cold indifference of the past, or grow into the caring man she thought she'd seen glimpses of in the past year. For everyone's sake, she hoped it would be the latter.

——🐍——

In contrast to the rest of the week, the morning of her friend's arrival was incredibly calm, much to Ivy's dismay. She ran around the castle frantically, smoothing sheets and straightening pillows needlessly while Kyria and Theo watched her amusedly.

After watching her speed past in a blur for the fifteenth time in half an hour, Theo grabbed her arm,  making her stop her mad dash. "Ivy, I love you, but if you are going to make the beds one more time, I'll kill you and the maids will help me hide your body."

Ivy smiled sheepishly and forced herself to sit, bouncing her knee frantically until the time came when Selina had said she'd be flooing to their house. Ivy leapt up and stood in front of the fireplace, wringing her hands in anticipation. Theo laughed at her impatience and went to stand next to her.

After a minute there was a flash of green fire, and from it ran a blur of blonde hair that tackled both Theo and Ivy to the ground in one fell swoop. Selina hugged them tight on the floor while they laughed, then lifted her head to grin at them. "Hello you two, how are you?"

Theo groaned but smile as he sat up, "Apart from the bruised tailbone? Marvellous."

Selina rolled her eyes, the smile not slipping from her face once, "I see you're as dramatic as ever Nott. Merlin, I've missed you both."