Gryffindors are Very Dramatic

So much had changed since then that she had hardly thought about her wand, or of it being elder wood, but now that she was fine with the world knowing she was a siren, she wanted to talk to him about what that might mean in connection.

She reached the front of the shop and pushed through the door, letting the bell sound behind her as she once again took in the impressive shop.

Ivy stepped up to the old desk and smiled slightly when she noticed that it was still dusty. She looked around but didn't see Ollivander, so she waited patiently, looking around at the wands that were stacked precariously on the shelves.

Just as she was thinking how much he could use an assistant to rehaul the organization of the store and clean everything, a shock of grey hair stepped into their peripheral vision.

She turned to the wizard smiling brightly, and he returned it just as warmly. "Ms Ivy, I am delighted you've decided to visit my humble store again. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"It's lovely to be here, Mr Ollivander, I like your store best of all. I had some questions if you didn't mind me taking the time, about my wand." She pulled it from her bag as she spoke, where it was held safely in a pocket she had made especially for it on the inside.

Ollivander nodded knowingly and took the wand from her, looking at it for a minute, turning it over in his hands, before looking at Ivy once again.

"Your wand seems more attached to you than ever, Ms Stone. An impressive feat, especially for one made of elder wood. They are more fickle than most." He handed it back to her and she smiled, taking it from his hands.

"As for these questions you have, am I correct to assume they are regarding your being a siren?" Ivy looked up at the grey-haired wizard, not attempting to conceal her surprise. "A great many young witches, wizards and their parents come in here, and in all my years I have found that there are few things the wizarding community likes more than a good rumour."

He held a humorous twinkle in his eye and a kind smile on his face, and Ivy relaxed. She should've known the truth would have been spread farther than just the pureblood aristocracy by now, but the thought made her a bit nervous. She'd hoped to be able to tell her other friends the truth herself, but now she was concerned that opportunity may have slipped away.

Brushing aside that dilemma to face when it happened upon her, Ivy smiled back at Ollivander. "You've guessed completely correctly. I haven't had much time to dwell on my wand, with it being my first year at Hogwarts, but this summer it's been on my mind more often, and I was just wondering if there was some sort of correlation."

Mr Ollivander looked at her thoughtfully for a moment. "I believe you have very wisely discovered something here, Ms Stone. Elder wood is a very picky wand. Even those who still produce it for sale, find they cannot make good matches regularly.

"The wand chooses the witch or wizard, and this particular wood is incredibly specific. It will only choose someone whom it deems to be incredibly powerful. It's a very vain wand wood, if it is outdone it may abandon its owner entirely.

"If my hypothesis is correct, I believe that this may be one of the reasons why your wand is so bonded to you. Sirens hold immense power, the extent of which wizardkind will likely never uncover, but unlike our magic, you need no conductor to channel it. It sits in your very essence, ready to be pulled on whenever you need it.

"Combined with the magical talent of an exceptional line of witches and wizards on your father's side, I would say that your wand picked you because it identified a very great amount of power inside of you."

Ivy thought carefully on all he said, then had a thought. A brilliant, crazy idea.

"Are wands conduits of all magic, or only wizarding magic? Or perhaps a better question would be, is there a difference between forms of magic? Or only how it presents itself?"