Bloody Chicken

"Alright class, I'd like yeh teh meet Buckbeak, the Hippogriff." He threw a large chunk of meat at the eagle headed beast, which it snapped up in one swift bite.

A hush settled on the class as they stared up at the half eagle, half horse that stomped its feet impatiently in front of them.

"Firs' thing yeh gotta know about Hippogriffs is they're proud. Easily offended, Hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it migh' be the las' thing yeh do." Hagrid grinned widely as though he'd just mentioned the weather, not implied that this creature could and would kill someone, then clapped his hands together happily. "Right then -- who wants ter come an' say hello?"

Ivy pushed forward through the group eagerly, an effort that was made harder by Draco clutching furiously at the back of her robes while all the other students rushed backwards. She forced her way through the throng till she was standing up front next to Harry, who was fixated on the beast in shock.

Hagrid turned around and saw the two standing in front of the others. "Very good Ivy an' Harry!" He waved them up. "Come on now, now yer gonna wanna bow teh him, real low."

Ivy and Harry stooped into low bows as Buckbeak pawed the ground and huffed in front of them. Ivy kept a close eye on the magnificent creature through the curtain of hair that swung in front of her.

She liked to think she had a certain affinity with magical creatures that others didn't, being one herself, but she was wise enough to know that her being a siren meant that right now Buckbeak was a predator being approached by another predator on his land, and that could end rather poorly.

As though he'd read her mind, Buckbeak huffed angrily and darted forward a step, pawing the ground fiercely. All the mirth slid from Hagrids face as he rushed forward, waving his arms madly at Harry and Ivy. "Get back! Get back!"

The pair moved quickly backwards until a loud snap made them stop. Harry grimaced awkwardly and Ivy glared at him, "For Merlin's sake Harry, have you no subtlety?" He glanced apologetically at her then returned his eyes to the Hippogriff as Ivy shook her head then followed suit.

Buckbeak was not rushing towards them anymore, much to Ivy's relief, but the look he was giving them didn't exactly scream let's make friendship bracelets. After what felt like an eternity the large beast finally snorted and bent his forelegs so they rested on the ground, bowing his head low enough that his beak touched the leaves that had fallen to the ground.

The tension eased out of Hagrids body and his previous jollyness returned in full force. "Well done, you two! Go on. Give 'im a pat."

The pair stepped forward tentatively until they reached the bird, who's eyes didn't leave Ivy for a moment. When she finally reached him she held his gaze for a moment before bowing her head again. After a beat he snorted and bowed his head too. Ivy smiled and stepped forward so that their brows rested against each other, then brought her hand up to gently pet the side of his muscled neck.

"Look at that! I reckon he migh' let yeh ride 'im!" Hagrid boomed happily from beside them and from the corner of her eye Ivy saw him seize Harry by the waist and hoist him onto Buckbeaks back.

She snorted with laughter when she caught sight of the limoncello shade of Harry's face, then walked over to  Hagrid, who laced his large hands together to give her a boost up. She swung her legs over the Hippogriff's back as Hagrid added, "Mind yeh don' pull any feathers out. He won' like that."

Ivy shrugged and smiled slightly. That felt fair enough, seeing as she herself wouldn't love having her feathers pulled out by a bunch of strange school children. Before she could convey that she understood Hagrid gave a firm smack to Buckbeaks hind legs, causing the creature to burst into a gallop.