Never a Dull Moment

The next morning Ivy had the misfortune of attending her first Defence Against the Dark Arts class. She had been dreading it since meeting her future Professor in Flourish and Blotts on Diagon Alley and had griped and groaned so much about it that Pansy had threatened to cast a permanent sticking charm on her mouth.

Ivy walked into the classroom with the rest of her friends and they sat down in sets of two. Draco slid into the seat next to Ivy while Pansy and Selina went to the side of them and Theo and Blaise went in front. Much to Ivy's added dismay, Crabbe and Goyle took up the seats behind Ivy and Draco, smiling stupidly.

She gave Draco a very distinct "must they?" look, to which he only shrugged and smiled apologetically. Ivy rolled her eyes and turned to look at the rest of the room. Neville had just walked in with Harry, Hermione and Ron tailing behind. Ivy mouthed "are you alright?" to him, making him smile and nod at her.

Hermione looked incredibly excited for class and didn't even look around the room, her eyes intently trained on the door of Lockhart's office. In contrast, Ron and Harry looked wildly disgruntled.

Before Ivy could puzzle out her observations, the door to the office atop the stairs swung open with a flourish and Gilderoy Lockhart stepped out.

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher. Me. Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League and five times winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award -- But I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!"

Ivy leaned over to Draco and murmured, "seems a bit odd that for someone who doesn't want to talk about it, he just used half of his introductory sentence on his smile."

Draco chuckled and nodded. He disliked the Professor more because he preferred Harry Potter, but he refrained from saying as much to Ivy.

"I see you've all bought a complete set of my books. Well done. I thought we'd start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry about. Just to check how well you've read them, how much you've taken in..." continued Lockhart, making Ivy narrow her eyes at the mention of the books. She had scanned them after their meeting in the book store and had been reviled to find that they were more filled with pompous nonsense than educational material.

When he passed the papers to her and Draco, she glanced and scoffed angrily. "Ridiculous. Get a load of this nonsense. Nobody gives a damn what his favourite colour is. And what the bloody hell are his top three favourite deserts supposed to teach us?"

Draco snorted and reviewed his sheet. "Even you have to admit there's merit in knowing which of the attached pictures of robes compliments his eyes the best, Ivy."

In spite of herself, Ivy cracked a smile and bit back a laugh. She turned over the test and began to doodle on the back. When she felt Draco watching her she turned to see him looking at her with raised, questioning eyes.

She scoffed "you don't actually expect me to participate in this rubbish do you?" Draco shook his head and smiled at her, before turning his paper over as well and following suit. By the time Lockhart was circling the room again to collect the papers their sheets were filled with all manner of silly images.

They both turned red from holding in their laughter as they saw their professor's scandalized expression when he picked up their papers. When he turned away they lapsed into an unsubtle fit of laughter.