Downhill Faster than Hagrid on a Bike

All the meditating in the world couldn't have fixed Ivy's mood that day. People would not shut up about Harry being the heir of Slytherin, and it was truly getting under her skin.

It seemed as though every loud mouth in the school had something to say, but unluckily for him, Ernie Macmillion seemed to strike on the last nerve of her patience.

She was studying when he decided to voice his opinions to a group of Hufflepuffs so loudly she couldn't concentrate on a thing. "So, anyway, I told Justin to hide up in our dormitory. I mean to
say, if Potter's marked him down as his next victim, it's best he keep a low profile for a while."

A sweet girl whom Ivy believed was named Hannah responded, sounding quite distraught and worried. "But why would he want to attack Justin?"

"Justin let it slip to Potter that he was Muggle-born."

"And you definitely think Potter's the Heir of Slytherin?"

"Hannah, he's a Parselmouth. Everyone knows that's the mark of a dark wizard. Have you ever heard of a decent one who could talk to snakes? They called Slytherin himself Serpent-tongue." He leaned forward as though to whisper conspiratorially, but he was as loud as ever.

"Remember what was written on the wall: Enemies of the Heir Beware. Potter had some sort of run-in with Filch. Next thing we know, Filch's cat's attacked. That first-year Creevey's been annoying Potter. Then Creevey's attacked."

"He always seems so nice, though. And, after all, he is the one who made You Know Who disappear." Hannah responded imploringly, and Ivy had to hold herself back from applauding. At least someone had common sense.

"That's probably why You Know Who wanted to kill him in the first place. Didn't want another Dark Lord competing with him." He smirked and stuck his nose in the air as though he were truly a genius and something in Ivy snapped.

She rose angrily from her chair, brushed off Draco's hand when he desperately tried to pull her back, and strode over to the group of Hufflepuffs.

Ernie glanced over at her. "Hello Ivy, have you come to join the conversation? Say, you were friends with Potter for a while weren't you. Proper good sense to end that, I imagine there's all sorts of trouble he gets up to that goes unnoticed."

"For Merlin's sake do you ever shut up? You should really talk less, it might hide some of your irreparable stupidity." She spat her words angrily and the self-satisfied smirk slid from Ernie's face.

"Hannah here," she flashed a warm smile to the Hufflepuff girl, who flushed quite red, before continuing. "Is absolutely right. Everyone has had a run in with Filch at some point. And are you truly so stupid you expect everyone to believe that Voldemort was threatened by a one year old baby?"

Everyone at the table gasped dramatically and Hannah squeaked. "You can't say that!" She protested in a horrified voice.

Ivy barely managed to keep herself from rolling her eyes. "I don't follow rules made by tyrants and genocidal maniacs. If he didn't want people calling him by his name, that's exactly what we should call him."

Ernie huffed angrily. "Well I suppose you would protect the heir of Slytherin, being a Slytherin yourself. You probably hate muggleborns and want to see them dead just as much as Harry does."

"I'm a half-breed you colossal knob, I'm in just as much danger as muggleborns are. You're grasping at straws because you're an idiot who prefers gossiping about a good, kind, caring boy more than finding out the truth."

Ernie sneered at her but didn't say anything. Ivy started to turn to go back to her seat when she caught the eye of Ron and Hermione, who were both watching her with wide eyes and gaping mouths.