XXIV

***

When the day slowly came to an end with the light fading out, Draco found himself standing at the window again.
The dorm wasn't entirely empty that time, Longbottom was reading in his bed, something about Herbiology as Draco had picked up.
Strangely enough he found himself not minding the silent company.

The view was captivating and it had captured him. Maybe it was because he'd never lived with a view from as high up that he found it so fascinating. Or maybe it was the light that fascinated him, especially the light of dusk and dawn. It always had something magical about it.

Whatever it was, he stood in the same spot he had that morning, watching over the lake and grounds.
And it didn't bother him that someone was in the room with him. They both were captivated by their own fascination and the silence that resulted from it was companionable.

The lake looked significantly darker. The last rays of light had not quite the same illuminating power as the first ones.
Draco thought about what the lake would look like from up close and was tempted to find out.
Did the water look just as dark if he stared right at it?
He decided that he should go for a walk on the grounds soon. Not just to see the lake but to feel the fresh air and touch upon the green grass. The grounds wouldn't look so inviting and lively once winter came.

It surprised him how the castle and it's surroundings could still look so pure and full of life, even after all the horrible things that had taken place there.
The trees and the grass looked just as fresh as every other year, as if what had happened had not effected their growth and spirits.

He turned his head to look at Neville who was still reading.
In a way he was tempted to ask if plants cared, even if he knew the answer. They didn't. But that was part of their beauty, they stayed the same, no matter what happened around them as long as their soil stayed healthy.
And the soil had healed. Even after being poisoned just months before.

Draco left his position at the window and strode over to the door. He had decided that he was going to find Balise and Pansy since he had been neglecting them for a few days.
When he reached the door he turned to see Longbottom watching him and gave him a subtle nod.

***

When Draco reached the girls dormitory in which Pansy was staying he knew immediately that she wasn't inside. He didn't even need to open the door to know.
The raised voices coming from inside were revealing enough.

There was a deep, scruff voice that Draco knew belonged to Weasley.
The second voice was significantly higher and clearer. Even though it was unnaturally high pitched he knew it was Hermione's.
He made an effort to cram the thought that the high pitched hysteria in her voice didn't suit her to the back of his mind.

Even though he knew he shouldn't he stood at the door, entirely stilled. It was immoral to listen in on a private conversation but he couldn't help himself.
Draco was simply too curious what they were saying, too interested in why they would fight.
The golden trio, or parts of it, fighting openly had been a rate occurrence throughout the years. And he was curious to know what would cause them to raise their voices like that.

"She is is soddin' best friend! Have you lost your bloody mind?"
The voice was dripping with unconstrained rage. It sent a shiver down Draco's spine.
"I haven't, what the fuck! Are you so blinded by the past that you're unable to see change?"
Draco had caught enough snippets to safely assume that they were fighting about him. Or Pansy. Both of them maybe.