IV

The moment of hesitation had seemed to take forever when Draco finally took a step to follow her.
Hermione had stopped and waited for him to catch up. When He took too long, she turned around and sighed.
"Don't worry Malfoy, I know there might be looks if we eat together, but they won't hate you more because of that. If they do, I promise I'll make them fucking shut up."
Before he knew it, he was staring right up into her eyes and then started laughing.

"Never have I ever heard Granger let such a word slip." It felt like it had been ages since he had found anything this simple funny.
"Now you've ruined the whole image I've had of you."

Surprisingly, she had joined in and laughed with him.
"Should I be concerned that you had an imaginary image of me at all?"
He grinned at her.
"no need, Granger, that's not really my thing."

She smiled at him politely, but with a knowing spark in her eyes that left him wondering what she knew. Granger was a smart and observant witch, but if she had figured him out in this one, particular mater, maybe someone else had as well. It was impossible that anyone knew about his tendencies, it was the last thing he needed.
"Let's get in there now, shall we."

She interrupted his train of thought and Draco was secretly thankful she did. "Well then, let's go." He said and followed shortly after her.

The one good thing about the 8th year table was, that no one would question why they both sat at the same table. However, it would probably be questioned why next to each other.

They finally sat down, but the conversation had died. Draco was well aware that it was probably his job to revive It.
He was hesitant about what to say, his thoughts were racing about whether or not she hated him in this very moment.

"Granger, I don't really feel my apology earlier was enough for all I've done. For all that my family has done to you and your friends.
I've made questionable decisions..."

She cut him off before he was able to go on. Again.
"Malfoy, I do not question that your apology was genuine. You're still kind of a sarcastic, snobby prat but your taste in books talks in your favor."

He blankly starred at her. Hermione Granger had just insulted him and probably gave him what was a compliment in her language in the same sentence.
"Potter gave me my wand back"

Draco felt like he could slap himself. Blabbering out of nowhere, speaking without thinking it through first, that was not like him. How did this just happen?
He had half expected her to laugh at him. Instead, she smiled and nodded.
"I know. I think he did the right thing."

"You- you do?"
She looked at him in a way that Draco guessed was supposed to be encouraging, but it only half worked.
"Thank you, Granger."

They spent the rest of their breakfast talking about books. And to his own surprise, Draco even listened to her talk about muggle books, without getting bored.

Just as they were about to get up he remembered what he had been meaning to ask her all morning long.
"Uh, I've wanted to ask you, why were you late this morning?"

He noticed how at first, all colour drained from her face, but by the time she started speaking, it had already gone back to a suspiciously pink colour.
"I- uh- I kind of...slept in."
Her face had a bright red colour and it looked like she was burning up.

Draco attempted a smile.
"I suppose it's personal? I can accept that, don't worry."
Her shoulders dropped a bit, as if she just relaxed a bit.

The first class of the day was charms, which Draco classified as bearable. At least sitting next to Pansy he was able to chat.
Half of the class was over when he finished telling her about his breakfast with Granger.