7. Child Innocence

Seren P.O.V.

I recognize the nightmare I'm in for it's one I've had a thousand times. The only change is me; once a boy and now a man standing alone among the fields. Back then, the crops covered my head. Now they reach my waist. I can see it all happen.

Across the field sits a small house. My house. I no longer remember if the color is right. Was it always red or was it brown? Was Papa always that short? Was his hair peppered gray? Did my brother, Saul, smile like that or was it more crooked? It's been so long since I've seen their faces that they become warped, but their deaths never do. They're always bloody and terrifying and...

I practically throw myself out of bed before the nightmare truly begins, heaving giant breaths that do little to ease my racing heart. The nightmare fades as I take in my surroundings, though where I am could also be considered a nightmare.

Groaning, I push myself out of bed. Seems, even here, I wake before sunrise. That's not surprising, I've been doing that for over a decade. Training required waking up at dawn and working until well after nightfall. The routine has never quite left me.

The mansion sleeps based on the eerily quiet halls. A few lights illuminate one side of the mansion, which I presume is where the children sleep. I steer clear of their rooms and take to the stairs down to the first floor. There's no sighting or sound of another being awake.

As tempting as it is to snoop, I really should wait. The last thing I need is for one of the kids or workers to find me sticking my nose into something I shouldn't, further proving that they should dislike me. For now, I go about my usual morning routine.

The sun is about to rise when I perform my stretches in front of the manor. The first thing I notice are the cars; one is parked slightly to the right compared to yesterday. Did someone leave last night? Then, I run the perimeter, ensuring to take in whatever the estate has to offer. The only object of interest is the slightly broken down cathedral with boarded windows now.

Considering what Cyan said yesterday, he must use the cathedral to study divinity. Other than that, there's nothing out of the ordinary from first glance, which is to be expected. Still, I had hoped to find a lever hidden among the trees or a trap door by the music room. Not only would it be useful, but also incredibly hilarious. Just once, I'd like to find the cheesy villain lair.

After my run, I step inside to find Lore descending the stairs, long hair draped over his shoulders. He wears a navy robe that shows too much of his chest; the curves to his well toned stomach and the teasing glance of a V line. His pale thigh peeks far too sensually through the slit of his robe when descending the stairs.

I swallow hard and look away just as he adjusts his robe. Possibly to hide a faint scar across his abdomen. That must be new if it has yet to fully heal; what could it be from? The sight also reminds me of my own; the ones visible on my arms that lay bare for all to see. I should have worn my robes on the run. It's not as if I haven't done it before, but it's warmer here than in the capital. I had to take extra breaks to catch my breath.

"Good morning," Lore says at the bottom of the stairs, finally concealing himself by tightening the robe around his waist. His hand rests elegantly against the banister as he stands tall like a perfectly molded stature in a grand art institute. "I hope you didn't wake for an early run because you had an uncomfortable rest. If that's the case, we can find you another room."

"No, I slept wonderfully." Which isn't exactly true. The bed is so soft that I was almost frightened that I'd fall right through it. I'm more accustomed to sleeping on grassy ground while on the roads.

"Many seraphics such as myself are creatures of habit. We wake before dawn and a good run leaves me feeling invigorated. I didn't happen to wake you, did I?" I ask.