58. The Blight Test

Warning: Child abuse, drug use, suicidal thoughts, and sexual assault.

Eleven Years Ago

Priest Aja awoke me late in the night. I rubbed my tired eyes, blinking rapidly against the dim light from Aja's lantern. He was a kind man somewhere in his early forties who kept watch over the trainees of the Holy Church. It was odd to see him out so late. But then he outstretched his hand and said, "Seren, it is time."

I hesitated to accept, overcome by sudden dread, for I now knew why he had come. Stories spread among the young seraphics and holy knights of the journey to becoming official and trusted members of the church. One could not be in any position of importance if they did not undergo certain tests. They had to train themselves mentally, physically, and spiritually. But the hardest act of all was the one I got out of bed for that night. And I knew that if I did not pass the test, it would most likely be because I died.

Priest Aja moved from one bed to the next among the barracks, waking the rare few who have managed to have the honor of moving up the ranks. The first step to becoming even more. My dream was to reach the title of Champion one day, like Olere. Ten years ago, he saved me. I wanted to make him proud. In other words, I would face whatever happened tonight with every ounce of will I had.

A total of thirteen seraphics joined Priest Aja, who guided us by dim light through the narrow halls of the barracks. Through the thin windows, we made out the high steeples of Trinia; the home of the Holy Church. All of us bowed our heads in a silent prayer before Aja led us to the forbidden chambers at the far end of Trinia's estate. Only a few held keys to the door that opened like a puzzle. I didn't quite understand what Aja did, only heard the click, click, click of locks. The door opened to a set of stairs leading to darkness. In that darkness, soft cries echoed that grew louder the deeper we went until they became screams.

"Do not be afraid," Aja spoke calmly. His light did little to reveal the interior of the forbidden chamber. I caught brief glimpses of long hallways branching off filled with iron doors clasped tightly shut.

At the end of a hall that stretched for an eternity, Aja opened the final door where the light blinded me. My fellow trainees and I stood in a cold room that reeked of bleach and something too sweet. A series of hospital beds lined the walls separated by sheets. I noticed something peculiar about the beds; there were straps.

"Seren," Aja called. He sat the lantern aside to guide me into the first bed. He must have felt my trembles because, as he tightened the straps until I couldn't move, he asked, "Are you frightened? If you do not wish to partake, you may leave. Your family will not be upset."

I felt a scream on the tip of my tongue, the desperate plea to cry for help. But then I realized I didn't need help because I was with my family. Family would never hurt me.

"I don't want to leave. I will make you proud," I said just as Aja tightened the final strap.

Smiling, Aja patted my head. "We have always been very proud of you. At this rate, you will be one of the youngest paladins we've ever had the honor of fighting alongside. During the time to come, you must remember that this is done for the betterment of our world. The Three Mothers will protect you and bring you to the light."

The fear subsided, replaced by a sudden ounce of courage. The Holy Church did what they had to in order to fight back the darkness of Vexis, to destroy the vampires and their hold on the world. Sometimes, that meant taking risks. I would risk it all to rid the world of the vampire scourge, to save families like mine and become a man as great as Olere.

Tonight, I would battle against the vampire's greatest weapon; blight. Any who wished to work in the field had to build an immunity. No member of the Holy Church could risk falling to a vampire bite. It meant the vampire could kill them on the spot, put their team in danger, or lead to the death of civilians. The ceremony was necessary, and an honor.