71. Out on the Town

Cyan P.O.V.

Lore actually agreed to letting Draven and I tour the city. He allowed our Definitely-Not-A-Date to happen. Seren doesn't appear too pleased with that. He definitely tried to tag along when Lore put a stop to it, seemingly by kicking Seren under the table. At least, I heard a thud and that's all I can imagine that happened. To my sheer fucking surprise, I was a bit down that Seren couldn't tag along because now...

Now I sit by Draven in the back of the car on our way to city central repeating over and over again that this is not a date. We've gone on plenty of adventures together; scouting cities, tackling jobs, and going into town with the kids. This is no different. Except we aren't scouting for anything. This isn't a job. And the kids aren't here.

Who the fuck am I kidding? This was a stupid idea! Common sense has always been chasing me, but I've been outrunning it my whole life. I wish my legs would give out and let it catch up for once.

"Stop here," Draven orders. The guards reluctantly do so, always wearing a sour face. If they sucked on a lemon, they'd actually appear in a better mood.

Draven steps out of the car and I follow. We stand on a wide street leading to what I can only assume to be the very center of the capital. Even from here, I see an enormous fountain of shimmering water surrounded by overgrown willow trees. Strange how that's the center of the city.

"City Central should be right up your alley," Draven remarks, gesturing for me to follow him. "If it's as I remember, there are many pop-up shops with trinkets and souvenirs that you can tear apart to your heart's content."

"It is not trinkets and souvenirs I wish to tear apart." I pout. "Don't you have enough savings to purchase one of those fancy cars?"

"Even if I did, I wouldn't out of fear that I know you would destroy it."

"I'd learn how to put it back together." I grunt in surprise when Draven suddenly rests his hand on the small of my back. The touch is so gentle I barely feel it. He guides us so that I walk close to the buildings. He has done this on purpose, making sure that he is between me and the other vampires. I catch their stares; ones of confusion, annoyance, disgust, and hunger. Draven keeps a stern expression, almost daring anyone to come near.

"Did you come here often when you were a child?" I ask, trying not to pay attention to the mortals Draven warned me about. The ones following a few steps behind their masters, head bowed as if disgraced and faces covered in black veils. Their necks and wrists are horribly bruised and I can only imagine what other horrendous marks they have hidden.

"Yes, I lived with my father in our estate far from the city, but as you can guess with our vehicles it was very quick and easy to visit. I liked the pop-up stalls, seeing what new items they had for the day so my father often brought me here," Draven replies, puzzling me. My question stare has him tilting his head. "Why do you look at me like that?"

"You answered a pretty personal question without complaint. I'm wondering if the Vexsis air has done something to you, like somehow remove the stick that was once permanently up your ass."

Draven snorts. "If it troubles you, so I won't answer any more questions from now on."

"Drama, drama, drama. You know that isn't what I--" My words lodge in my throat, along with bile that rises from my gut.

I stop in my tracks, almost stumbling into Draven as I lurch away from the windows of a shop. Inside, a young girl probably younger than me lays dead on the floor of the restaurant. Her ashen skin speaks volumes; she has been drained dry. Vampires laugh at their table, lips caked in blood. She died moments ago in terror, the expression frozen on her face. She isn't the only one either. I notice vampires clinging to the neck of a man, who's eyes almost look relieved as he fades away. Another cries on the floor as vampires gnaw at her neck and wrists, but she doesn't fight or struggle. Is it because she knows it's pointless?