65. Curiosity Killed the Cat

Cyan P.O.V.

Seren struts across the room to take a seat on the edge of Draven's bed, who appears to be very displeased when he exits the bathroom. Fresh out of a shower, Draven stands frozen with a towel on his head. His hair's damp. A slight sheen rests atop his porcelain skin. His clothes stick to his muscular frame that I've often wondered--I bite my lip. My mouth runs dry. I squirm in place, unsure of where to look. I know where I want to look, but getting all worked up would be a very bad idea. Although, for me, it's always a bad idea. My brain's short circuiting, isn't it? Yeah... yeah...

Draven's orange eyes narrow on Seren, then drift to me in silent questioning.

"Don't look at me. I have no idea what the greasy grub-fuck is doing," I declare.

Seren doesn't respond nor react to my insult. He doesn't normally, but there's something in his brown eyes that tells me he didn't hear a damn thing I said. He's as vacant as a jar of cookies after the gremlins back home got their hands in it.

"Is there a reason you've invaded our room?" Draven inquires. When Seren doesn't respond, Draven approaches his bed to kick the crusty cabbage in the shin. Seren jolts. His gaze returns from lala land to focus on Draven, who repeats the question; "I asked, is there a reason you've invaded our room?"

"I'm sleeping here," Seren states the same words he spoke to me earlier, only without the murderous smile that made me glad I've been sleeping with a knife under my pillow.

"Are you implying that you plan for us to share a bed?"

"You could share Cyan's bed."

I would literally die, that murderous bastard.

"You lousy shit fungus!" I point accusingly at the bed stealer. "You can't storm into our room demanding we change our sleeping arrangements because of a reason you won't share."

"I can't imagine what reason would make a Paladin of the Holy Church rather risk sharing a bed with a vampire than a room with a dhampir," Draven adds. I try not to focus on how he's implying he would still share a bed with Seren over sharing with me. I tell myself it's because he's being courteous, but there's always a whisper in the back of all our minds that tells the most terrible things.

He doesn't want to be around you.

He's annoyed at the mere thought of how dramatic you'll be if he so much as grazes you.

He's disgusted by you.

"Did something happen with His Grace?" Draven asks after Seren doesn't respond, bringing me back to reality.

Huffing, the paladin rolls onto his side to face his back to us. "Nothing happened."

"Your actions and tone say otherwi--" Draven grunts when a pillow is launched expertly at his face. He manages to catch said pillow prior to it falling to the floor. "How mature of you."

"You can go share the room with Lore or stay here, your choice!" Seren kicks up the blankets and throws himself under them as if that will prevent Draven from tossing him out of the room.

Draven looks at me. Orange eyes as brilliant as flames make me short of breath as if this is the first I've seen them. Then he sighs, dropping the pillow in defeat. "So be it, although I cannot guarantee His Grace won't come storming in here to retrieve his original roommate."

"Tell him; if he tries, I'll shave his head in his sleep."

"Do I not get a say in this?" I ask with a raise of my hand. Draven walks by my bed to head for the door. I hurry to follow, narrowly catching him prior to stepping outside. "Hey, why am I babysitting shit for brains?"