55. The Growing Abyss

I do not see Lore until after dinner. He discovers me in the lounge alone because Cyan got tired of me being "moody." So he said. Frankly, I believe he wanted to spend more alone time with Draven. They scurried off to who knows where. I didn't see them at dinner either. I'd say they were having an evening under the sheets too, if I wasn't very aware of Cyan's aversion to touch.

Now, here I sit, watching Lore strut over to me like he wasn't having handcuffed sex with Miss Harmony. Fuck, now I'm thinking about Lore having sex. Get that out of your head, Seren!

I heave a long breath, attempting to compose myself before he arrives. The moment he's near, I'm affronted by the aroma of shampoo. Though his clothes and hair remain well kept, there is no denying what happened. My toes curl so tightly that they ache. Even my jaw starts to hurt from the constant grinding of my teeth. Foolish.

"Seren, why are you alone?" Lore asks, sitting on the couches practically made of clouds. Soft music plays from the small orchestra along the edge of the dance floor. A few have started to dance, enjoying the sun setting as the stars sparkle over the small glass ceiling overhead.

"I imagine the answer would be because I want to be alone," I snap, earning a puzzled expression from Lore.

"Are you implying that you want me to leave?"

"I would also imagine that, yes, I am."

Lore chuckles. He rests his elbow on the back of the couch, allowing his knuckles to press against his temple, keeping his head up. His eyes meet mine.

"You didn't enjoy the airship's amenities today?" he asks.

"I don't know what would give you that impression," I bite, figuratively and literally, chewing on a treat that I snatched from a tray carried by one of the few butlers walking around the lounge. "I quite enjoyed my day. How was yours?"

I shouldn't have asked that. I'm acting immature, and for no good reason. Why am I rattled? I shouldn't be. Who cares what he did!

Lore takes wine offered to him by one of the butlers. Smirking over the rim, he replies, "My day was rather invigorating."

But I can't stop myself from spitting, "I bet. Did you stop by our room to bathe or did you use hers after the two of you were done?"

"Dare I say it, but that tone makes me believe that you're feeling jealous." Lore leans in to brush the tips of his fingers against my cheek. I hate the thought that he had done the same to someone else. I swat his hand away. Lore chuckles. "If you wish to spend time with me so badly, all you have to do is ask."

"Jealous?" I scoff, wishing the heat in my cheeks would subside. "What would I be jealous of? I'm merely confused that a mortal would be so open and eager to perform such activities with you."

"Such activities," he repeats, swirling the wine in his glass. "Are paladins not allowed to talk about sex or is that specific to you?"

My throat becomes abnormally parched, more barren than a desert. Here I go again thinking about Lore having sex. I try to get the imagery out of my head.

"Or, perhaps, you don't want to talk about sex when I'm involved?" Lore adds, leaning in so every word grows nearer until I feel his lips brush my ear. "Because that may invoke thoughts of sex with me, which you, a paladin of the Holy Church, would never imagine. Right, my sweet Seren?"

Sweat forms on my palms. An abyss opens within me, seeking for an answer it has been desperate to find. I feel the desperation and confusion skittering like spiders through my veins, stretching further and further until they reach my mind. There, they burrow themselves into my consciousness, picking and prodding at every sinful thought. They flash before my eyes as faded pictures; click, click, click. Then I blink and they're gone, but Lore remains. Smirking. Close. The scent of shampoo and his fingers dancing over my cheek.