68. Making Plans with Draven

Cyan P.O.V.

The gruesome twosome glare at me for daring to invade their personal space, but I don't really give a damn. If we're going to have chaperones on this trip, I won't let them get in the way of my investigations. In this case, I'm investigating the car that moves on its own.

"What does this button do?!" I ask, pointing at a yellow button on the dashboard.

When I try to press the button, the vampire guard hisses. "Don't touch anything, blood bag!"

"Then tell me what the button does, ass muncher!"

The guard curls his nose.

"I'm implying that your breath smells like shit," I explain around a coy smile that has Draven gripping the collar of my shirt to yank me into the backseat. "Hey!" I huff, glaring at the buzzkill beside me. "I was busy up there."

"What he means to say is he's very sorry for being a bother," Draven says with a firm stare that has our duo of toenail gobblers easing off their glares. For now. I will ensure they get annoyed with me later.

"Can you behave yourself for five seconds?" Draven whispers. His warm breath tickles my ear. My shoulders hunch up. I veer away from him.

"This is me behaving. If I were my usual self, I'd have torn this car apart already."

Draven opens his mouth, then closes it because he knows I'm telling the truth. Then our car comes to a stop. Sighing, Draven steps out. He keeps the door open for me. We're parked on a wide street filled with tall townhouses and small but beautiful gardens. Stone walls separate the homes and iron gates from the sidewalk, giving privacy even in a rather cramped setting. Though the house pales compared to Seymour Manor, its grandeur isn't missed. A frosted gate keeps the front of the home private, but above the walls I make out the intricate carvings of white stone.

Draven gently tugs on my shirt. He hands me my luggage then opens the front gate with a silver key. The guards follow across the stone pathway through a lush garden of purple and blue flowers. Stained glass windows make up the front door, casting a rainbow of color across the walkway. Using a red key, Draven opens the door into a brightly lit navy foyer. The guards do not follow. They scowl at the front door, arms crossed, then I slam the door in their face.

Draven frowns.

"What?" I shrug. "Their faces annoyed me."

He rolls his eyes just as a vampire maid comes shuffling out of another room.

"Sir Morrow, welcome!" She says, smiling. "Everything has been made up just as Lord Seymour likes it."

"Good. We'll be taking our belongings to our rooms then," Draven says, although he retrieves a notebook from his pocket. I raise a curious brow when he scribbles something on the note to show to the maid. She takes the notebook to write a response. When I try to speak, Draven holds up a hand, and speaks to the maid. "His Grace and the paladin I spoke about to you earlier are on their way to the factory. I plan to go over a few things here to ensure His Grace is happy and comfortable when he arrives. Cyan will join me."

The maid gives a brief curtsy. "If you need anything, let me know." Then she shuffles away.

"What was--" Draven raises the notebook to cut me off. He's writing something else, then hands it to me so I may read the conversation.

Did anyone peculiar arrive before us?

Yes, three days ago, a technician was sent to investigate our security system as protocol.

Cyan, we will check for cameras or wire taps. Discreetly.

I don't like how he underlines discreetly. After returning the notebook, we head our separate ways to investigate opposing sides of the townhouse. While I don't discover any cameras, I do find a wiretap in Lore's office and the dining room. When Draven and I meet back in the library, we go over what we found.