32. Interviewing a Maid

"Excuse me," I call at the maid, who stops to smile politely.

"May I help you?" she asks. Her inquisitive eyes scan me over, visibly puzzled by my acknowledgement of her.

"Ah, yes, would you mind if I had a word with you about your time working here?"

The maid glances about nervously. Her hand rests gently on her necklace. She must know that's why I chose to talk to her. I haven't seen many others wearing a necklace of the Three Mothers. It's surprising Lore hired her at all unless he's trying to save face by hiring someone like they're proof that he doesn't mind.

The maid nods over her shoulder towards a lounge. We go there together. She peeks out the door, then shuts them prior to taking a seat on one of the couches. I sit next to her and get straight to the point because there's no telling when we may be interrupted; "How long have you been working for Lord Seymour, Miss...?"

"Maisy, Sir Paladin. I've been here for almost seven years now," Maisy replies. "My sister works here as well, but she has been here for ten years."

"I see, then has he treated you and the other works well during all this time?

"Incredibly well, although I know you may not want to believe that." She smiles almost apologetically. "We're well compensated for our work and there have been a few times where my co-workers have struggled financially. Lord Seymour always provides and never expects anything in return."

"So you'd say he's a good man?"

Maisy hesitates to respond, which confuses me based on what she has said thus far. Grasping her necklace, she takes a deep breath, then answers, "I do not believe in judging others, vampire, dhampir, or mortal, without first looking at their actions. I believe that is what the Three Mothers truly desire. I have seen Lord Seymour act kindly over the years, but I do not know him well enough to proclaim he is always a good man. There are times where he acts... rather odd."

"Odd how?"

"I don't know how to explain it, but he... his smile doesn't quite reach his eyes, as if he's faking his moods. I know we all do it from time to time, but sometimes it's-it's, uh, frightening." She shivers at whatever memory comes to mind.

"There's also all the business trips, far more than what I've heard of others working under Lords, and he disappears at all hours of the day and night to only the mothers know where, as does Sir Draven. None of us ever ask what their business is, but all of them are in on it," Maisy whispers the last bit, leaning in to continue. "Miss Arline and Sir Cyan, I mean. It feels like they're security, waiting for someone to attack the manor, although it has never happened before. At least not that any of us are aware of. It does make me a bit suspicious."

It makes me suspicious too, although those disappearances could have to do with his work alongside the precinct.

"How do the other works feel, like your sister? Do they feel similarly to you?" I inquire.

The more information I have, the more I can give to the church. If what Maisy says is true and things continue going as they have, I may have to inform the church that they're suspecting the wrong man. Lore is innocent, at least as the serial killer we're searching for. There's still no telling if he played a part in the deaths of his previous family though.

Maisy nods. "We all have discussed these sometimes strange behaviors and disappearances, but Lord Seymour has been so kind that we've chosen not to look too deep into it."

She suddenly grasps my hands, holding them gently between us. "I can only take a guess why you're asking me all this, but I do want to add a bit more. Regardless of the odd behavior and disappearances, even if they worry me at times, I do earnestly believe that Lord Seymour has his reasons. Maybe he's hiding his work at the precinct or feeling stressed, but I simply can't imagine him being of any concern to the church or anyone."