24. Breaking and Entering

When did Lore even tell Draven to head for Ikehn's? Or are they so in tune with one another that Draven knew without his lord having to say so? That's either impressive, creepy, or both, although I may be biased seeing as Draven in general creeps me out. He's too quiet, so quiet I forget he's there sometimes. That's saying a lot for me.

Speaking of Draven, he sends a glare over his shoulder in my direction. One that says he would have preferred I stay in the car or got run over by a very heavy car. Preferably one that would crush my skull on impact. The child in me comes out and I stick my tongue out at him. He bristles like I insulted his mother, then surprises me by giving me the finger.

So he does have child-like tendencies as well. I don't know how I feel about that. I might have preferred if he continued playing the heartless butler.

If Lore noticed or cared about our behavior, he doesn't show it. The three of us walk silently through the woods for some time. Finally, we come upon a vast iron fence surrounding a manor that is far too elaborate even for Ikehn's salary. Three stories high at the front stretching far and wide, then flowing back a lot like Lore's. Made of drink brick with a vast entryway held up by circular columns and straining gargoyles. Now this would make a great entrance to a villain's lair...

"Draven, keep a watch out here. Let us know if Ikehn returns or there's any sign of someone noticing us," Lore orders.

Nodding, Draven climbs a nearby tree to disappear among the brush. Without a moment of hesitation, Lore hops the fence. I'm left gaping like a fish out of water. By how quick and efficient they are, they've definitely done this before. How often? Does this point to Lore being a serial killer or a far too passionate investigator with a hidden criminal record? I'm not given the chance to come to a conclusion.

"Ouch!" I hiss when something hard hits the back of my head. It was a twig that no doubt came from Draven.

My assumption is proven correct when he hisses, "You'll get us caught if you dawdle. Get going or go back to the car."

"I know, I know, Cranky," I grumble under my breath. I should knock him out of that damn tree, but I miraculously resist the urge.

Grumbling, I hop the fence and hurry to meet Lore in the yard. I'm tempted to ask how Draven will notify us when we're so far away, but it's too risky to speak. There are a few workers lingering about. We keep low to the ground and avoid open areas. Luckily, it's easy to do here. Ikehn loves his landscaping. There's an entire maze of hedges on the left side of the property along with a garden overfilled by statues to the right. I kind of wish he isn't the villain so we remain on good terms and I can ask who his decorator is. Not that I could afford them, but it's a nice thought.

Lore chooses to go right through the garden. A gardener walks by as we crawl behind a fountain. It's strange seeing Lore like this. I didn't think he'd be willing to get his precious clothes dirty. However, the entire time, Lore wears a wicked grin. His eyes shimmer with delight, surveying the area like a bloodhound on the hunt. He's quick on his feet, fading from one shadow to the next like he was born for this. Not to say I'm a loud, bumbling fool behind him, I can handle myself. I haven't exactly been trained to break into someone's house though. It was more of a, "is there a vampire here? Okay, kick the door in," vibe. Lore, however, appears to take pleasure in this. Guess it makes sense that he referred to this as "having some fun" earlier. And further confuses me on whether this leans towards him being a serial killer or far too passionate a helper.

After some time searching the area, we come across an unlocked door leading to Ikehn's library. Lore steps inside first, inspecting the room for another. I carefully shut the door behind us and keep my eyes out for anyone coming by. There are a lot of windows here. We could easily be seen.

"Do you have a plan other than sneak in and hope we don't get caught?" I hiss into Lore's ear while we step away from the windows and take a little breather.

"Nope," he replies nonchalantly. "It's more exhilarating this way, don't you agree?"

"No, it isn't."

"Has anyone told you that you're too uptight?"

"Has anyone told you that you're not uptight enough?"

Lore taps his chin, seriously contemplating the question before stating, "No, in fact, I haven't. People tend to find my almost lackadaisical style charming, possibly even downright adorable."

"Those people deserve a good hit to the noggin."

Lore purses his lips. "I gave you the option of staying in the car. Don't complain when you made your decision."

"There wasn't much of a decision to make. If I stayed, who knows what you might have done alone here?"

"Murdered the entire staff and danced in their blood," Lore says while wiggling his fingers in front of his exaggerated crazed eyes.

I rub my throbbing temple. "You're maddening."

"I could be maddening in other ways, if you'd grace me with the opportunity," he whispers while running a slim finger across my shoulders that are now painfully tense.

"I'd sooner grace you with a beheading."

Giggling like a misbehaved child, Lore decides that was the conclusion of our conversation and continues onward. He inspects the library, pulling out books and pressing against shelves. While he does that, I try to determine what to do next. Should we head to Ikehn's office? There may be paperwork or even a safe that contains some questionable income. To do that, we'd have to risk searching this place. It's not like there's a map in the foyer we can check.

Lore must have determined the library was a bust because he's about to head for the door when I hear the quiet click of the doorknob. He curses. I grasp him by the back of his coat and fling us both over the sofa in front of the fireplace. He hits the sofa with a nearly inaudible grunt. I fall on top of him in time for the door to open.

The soft clicks of someone's shoes echoes in the library, growing closer. Lore lays beneath me, utterly silent save for his vibrant eyes that are far too delighted for this scenario. We're about to get caught while he's grinning like he won the lottery. As if he even needs the lottery. We should be concerned about this worker who is about to discover two strange men chest to chest and nose to nose in their boss' living room!

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

Look at our boys committing a crime together. Couple goals~ lol Do you think Lore's actions make him more suspicious or is he really just a very passionate investigator? And how about that ending? ;D We all love some close proximity~

 Couple goals~ lol Do you think Lore's actions make him more suspicious or is he really just a very passionate investigator? And how about that ending? ;D We all love some close proximity~