94. The Red Moon

Four days after Lore revealed the truth, he sets up the transporter to use late in the night.

"Remember, Ristain may be level headed, but even now not everyone he commands is as open minded as he is. There will be those who oppose your assistance," Lore explains.

"I'm sure there will be, so is it such a good idea to meet with them now? Is there not a way to gain their trust by other means?" I ask, curious with myself if I'm stalling or not.

Members of Red Moon have attacked my friends before--although doubtful they would consider me a friend now. The Red Moon has attacked me, tried to kill me, though that was when I was a member of church. Not much time has passed. They may see me as too much of a risk, as a possible traitor and a snitch ready to retreat to the church.

"Speaking bluntly, you could tear Trinia Cathedral down to her foundations and I bet there would be many still against you," Lore admits, offering an apologetic smile that I mirror. He rests a gentle hand on my shoulder, easing the tension. "However, we must still attempt to earn that trust by attending their meetings, listening to their words, and going through with their plans once they are made."

Nodding, Lore and I enter the portal, though I continue wondering if this is the best course of action. I've yet to determine a better path either, so for now this is what we must do.

Lore and I step into a cellar, dark and damp, lit by candles rather than lamps. A round table rests at the center of the room overwhelmed by papers that can't be seen through the bodies lingering by them. Three vampires, a mage, and two dhampir preside over the table with a handful more crowded at the front of the room near the staircase. All eyes turn to me, most silent in their examination while others scream vicious intent that they never risk to give.

"Lord Seymour, I'm glad you could join us this evening," a man speaks at the farthest end of the table. He comes into view as Lore and I approach. This must be Ristain, an orange-eyed vampire with deep black skin and a thick beard around his strong jaw. He stands taller than the rest, even Lore and possibly Draven, with wide shoulders and arms that could crush a grown man. A heavy longsword rests on his back that even I would struggle to wield. The tip of the handle glistens ruby red.

"As are we," Lore says, standing at the table. I take my place beside him, trying not to match the woman's glare beside me. From here, I decipher the papers. They're blueprints of Trinia Cathedral and others across the kingdom.

Lore gestures towards me. "This is Seren Farshine--"

"A paladin of the Holy Church," the dhampir woman beside me literally spits on my shoes.

"Not anymore," I correct her, knocking the side of my shoe against the floor to get rid of some of her gift.

"He should not be here," she growls, pointing her words towards Ristain. "You risk everything by agreeing to this."

"Everything we do risks our end, Marthia," Ristain argues. "A once paladin of the Holy Church is exactly what we need."

"Because you wish to infiltrate Trinia Cathedral?" I ask, reaching for the blueprint. Ristain nods, so I add, "I am what you need because these blueprints aren't accurate. None of them are. The church purposefully changes builders mid construction and prevents the state with false blueprints. Only those who regularly roam the halls are aware of what lies within to prevent situations such as this."

"He could be lying," a man claims across the table, the mage.

"If you're all going to question Seren's loyalty, we will happily take our leave," Lore says, though his eyes do not carry the same sweetness as his voice. His hand on my back, however, rests gently, as if to tell me that he's proud. "I will not let us be so openly insulted, Ristain. If you wish for our help, I suggest you muzzle your dogs," he finishes.