26. Taking a Chance

We search the manor a while longer before meeting up with Draven outside the fence. Lore explains what we found. Draven agrees to remain at the estate to keep an eye on things. I imagine sitting in trees and going on stakeouts weren't in his original job description, but he doesn't seem to mind. It isn't until we return to the car that I realize, without Draven, Lore is driving.

"Hand over the keys," I demand, to which Lore laughs and gets into the driver's seat. We may not make it out of the woods alive.

Lore miraculously evades the trees when peeling out of the forest onto the road. I cling to the car door for dear life once more, curious if I've perhaps left an imprint of my terror for any to see. Lore takes notice of my behavior and scoffs.

"You're being dramatic again," he states. "My driving isn't that bad, otherwise I'd have been in more accidents."

"I think it's safer to assume everyone in the city simply knows to stay away when they see your car heading in their direction," I argue, then whimper when he practically slingshots us around a turn. It's a miracle the rear end doesn't slam into a few pedestrians on the sidewalk, although they do scream and scatter like roaches.

"How old are you again? You should be better at driving than this!" I bellow and pray to the Holy Mothers for a reincarnation where I will never meet someone like Lore again. Specifically someone who is this terrifying of a driver. Please put him on a different continent!

"I actually didn't get a license until I was 153," Lore says while looking at me instead of the road. "But that was a little over fifty years ago."

"Damn it, keep your eyes on the road!" I scream and slam my hand against his cheek to force him to do so. He chuckles while I heave a long breath to steady my breathing. "I guess you do this often then, breaking the law. Not only in driving, but also sneaking into homes."

"Oh, are you going to tattle on me?" Lore snickers. "If you do, you'll have to admit that you tagged along on our little adventure, ergo, you are my partner in crime."

"You didn't answer the question."

"Why should I? I feel that's too personal for our business relationship."

"You've done far more personal things than I have, like earlier when you--" I bite my tongue because, knowing Lore, he'll have fun while I get frustrated. He's definitely leading me into a trap.

Sure enough, he grins and asks, "What did I do earlier?"

"Nothing," I grumble, pathetically attempting to forget the feeling of his arm around my waist and chest against mine.

It's not right, thinking like this. Feeling like this. I'm being tricked by a dhampir like many others, intoxicated by their lies... right?

I glance at Lore, who really hasn't shown any signs of being the perpetrator. What am I doing here? What answers can I find like this; spending our days together investigating crimes like we're detectives? How am I meant to uncover the truth when there are infinite ways to how he may or may not be hiding the truth?

There's an answer in front of me, one I'd rather not face. Lore hides behind layers of deceit that I fear I haven't even begun to unravel. To get what I need, to prove to the church, and especially Olere, that they chose the right man for the job, I may have to give more. Even if I really don't want to. Even if it terrifies me.

"You're here to search for the Red Moon and we should focus more on that. Do you think Ikehn could be in league with them?" Lore asks, which I sense is his way of diverting the conversation. I wish I could stick to it, let us continue dancing around each other until I inevitably leave. What are the chances he's the culprit or if there even is one?

A lie I tell myself to try and escape the inevitable. I have a job to do and I must do it well.

"Possibly, although he doesn't seem to be the type to be interested in their cause," I mumble.

I recall an attack against the Holy Church a few years back. I was out on a mission, slaying a group of vampires overcome by bloodlust that were ravaging small towns. It was the first time anyone had snuck into Trinia Cathedral. A young dhampir boy and vampire girl dug a tunnel beneath the cathedral. They broke in through the catacombs, then went on a killing spree. Five priests, two surveyors, and four holy knights were killed before the attackers killed each other to keep silent. They wouldn't risk being caught and the church was given a message; the vampires were ready for the next war.

"Ikehn isn't a vampire and he doesn't seem to be a sympathizer, although the Red Moon group could be using narcotics as funding. Ikehn may merely be benefiting from their business," I add.

Lore nods, appearing proud that he managed to change the subject. I wish I could be proud too. I wish I could refrain from revealing more, but everyday I second guess myself. Should I risk telling Lore about myself in hopes that I'll learn more about him, even if it leads to proving his innocence? I don't want to, but for the sake of the mission, and, damn it all, even the children, I must. I want them to be happy with Lore. Truly. They deserve it and they deserve to feel safe, which would happen if I weren't around.

"Having a business relationship doesn't mean we can't have a personal one as well," I say while clearing my throat to quiet whatever flirtatious remark Lore was certainly prepared to give. "If I tell you something personal, will you return the favor?"

Lore's gaze darkens as he considers my proposition. His hands flex against the wheel before he replies, "I suppose it depends on what you have to share."

It seems I can't skimp out on this. Telling a story about my first pet or learning to swim won't do. If I want a glimpse into Lore's past, I must give him a glimpse into mine. An unsettling thought that nearly prevents the moment entirely because Lore parks the car at the manor and grabs the door handle.

This is it. I can stop, pretend this moment never happened and continue never reliving the most horrific moment of my life.

But won't Olere be disappointed? What will the church think should they discover Lore is the culprit and I didn't do everything to stop him? My family would hate me, as they should. I can't lose them. I can't lose all I have left.

"We lived on a farm. Not our own, but one we worked and my father prided himself in that," I whisper.

Lore's hand drops from the handle to rest in his lap. When his eyes meet mine, I look away, but even feeling his gaze is too much. Then again, his gaze may have nothing to do with this overwhelming dread, this painful tension growing in my chest and the quiet screaming growing louder and louder in my mind. That likely entirely has to do with the story I'm about to tell, one I haven't forced myself to think of for almost two decades. I wished I didn't have to think of it for at least two more, but for the church, for Olere, I'll do whatever I must.

"Life was ordinary in the best of ways," I say, damn near tearing through my robes. "Mom and Dad worked hard. My brother poked fun at me everyday, only to be the first one running to me when I got into trouble. Back then, I had my complaints as all children do, but now I realize that life was... it was so amazingly perfect. But everything changed on a morning that felt like any other."

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

Seren is really putting his all into learning about Lore. He's even going to tell the full story about how he lost his family. What do you think happened that traumatized him so badly and led him to the church?

 What do you think happened that traumatized him so badly and led him to the church?