102. Making Their Escape

Olere's shock of discovering Lore's ability is set aside for now. We hurry to the manor to speak with Cyan and Arline, informing everyone of what Olere has found concerning Ebony Hawinan while Cyan assists me with his wounds. Everyone shares different reactions. Arline looks like she wants to throw her hands in the air and declare that she knew this all along. Draven sits silently, arms crossed in deep thought. Cyan ties gauze a little too tightly on Olere's arm, earning a raised brow that Cyan smiles sheepishly at. Lore's eyes darken with anger, managing to spew hatred that heats the room.

"Where are these documents?" Lore asks, glancing at Olere.

"Locked behind a few casts in an abandoned cellar," he answers. "Not far from where I found them. Holland believes I kept them on me."

"We need to retrieve them to give to Ristain. Our plans can't wait much longer to take effect."

"Ristain of the Red Moon?" Olere gapes. "Seren, tell me you aren't working with them."

"We have to," I argue, not missing the concern in Olere's gaze. "They've done their part and assisted in my rescuing of you. If we wish to fight against this, we must accept all the help we can get."

"They can't be trusted."

Arline raises her hand. "Agreed."

She and Olere both look shocked to agree with each other.

"We don't trust them to have our backs. We will take care of ourselves," Lore interjects. "The Red Moon has the same goal as us, so we're working together and that's something you have to accept. Especially now. There is no room to be picky."

I throw Lore a look that has him giving a weak shrug. He's right, but sometimes he's too blunt. Grasping Olere's shoulder, I give it a reassuring squeeze that does little to ease his tension. He sighs and says, "Fine, but I will go with them to retrieve the documents. I don't trust them not to tamper with anything."

"You can't. We need to retrieve them now and I just got you to safety," I argue, remembering how Holland stood over Olere with every intention to kill him. The thought makes me short of breath. I've lost enough people in my life. I don't know how I'd handle all of this on top of losing Olere.

"Seren's right. You're too injured," Lore says. "And we cannot afford to wait. The Holy Church has realized that we're more of a threat than previously predicted. They are obviously prepared to rush forward with our demise."

"I'll go." Cyan stands, earning an immediate wide-eyed stare from Draven. He looks ready to argue, but Cyan's swift to speak, "Olere can inform me how to break the protective spells. Seren and I are the only others who can break them easily enough and he should stay here in case anyone from the church arrives."

"Alright. Cyan will go to Ristain to retrieve the documents. The rest of us will remain here in case anyone arrives. Our top priority now is keeping the children safe." Lore rises, ignoring Olere's confused stares and Draven's concerned frown. Cyan gives him a reassuring smile that I doubt eases his concerns, but Cyan is the best option. He's strong. He can take care of himself.

Olere looks at me. "Is anyone going to explain how the dhampir can use magic and how Cyan will find the Red Moon when we're likely under heavy watch?"

The next few minutes are spent explaining, while excluding details concerning Lore's upbringing, resulting in Olere's eyes widening to comical proportions. I'm surprised the spheres don't pop out of his head. Arline and Draven have sauntered off. Lore runs his hand gently over my shoulder, then takes his leave, thus leaving Olere and I alone in the living area. Lore mustn't have called anyone to work on the manor. Cyan and him seem to have used some basic magic to stabilize the structure. Can't say I blame him. There's no telling if someone were sent to the house with ill intentions.