47. Seren's Bias

When I head to church to send my letter, Priest Niel has stacks of papers to give me. The church has sent as much information as they could on Lore, particularly news concerning the Seymour family. Though they attached strict instructions to hide these papers, as if I don't know to avoid Lore discovering them at all costs.

Then Priest Niel digs through his church robes while saying, "Ah, I found this letter from Jakoby. He must have forgotten to give it to you before he left."

"Left?" I ask, puzzled.

"Yes, he received a sudden summons from the church to begin his priest training early," Priest Niel announces proudly. "He left yesterday and must have sat this down in my office because I found it this morning."

Priest Niel offers an envelope with my name written on it.

Why would Jakoby leave a letter when he could call? I gave him the number to Lore's estate, even if I feared the teasing I'd get should any of those hoodlums answer. This is big news too. Maybe I could have left for the capital with him and waited there for Lore to go to Vexsis. I could have taken him on that tour (and avoided sharing a room on the first airship with Lore.)

There isn't anything for me to do now. I'll seek Jakoby out when our airship stops at the capital, but maybe he left a letter because he decided he no longer wishes to see me? Disappointment settles in my gut, accompanied by worry.

Taking the documents from Priest Niel, I thank him for his help and head to the precinct. Jaryl has had a few issues with vampire attacks recently so I'd like to be there if another happens. I don't plan to go over the documents concerning Lore, the officers would likely tell him I was snooping if they caught on, but Jaryl surprises me with a closed off room.

"I thought you'd have an easier time combing through what you have on the Red Moon if you had some privacy," he says. "I know it isn't much, but it's better than having to hear us bitching all afternoon, yeah?"

"Thanks, I appreciate it." I set the papers on the small round table. "Let me know if you need anything from me."

"Will do." Jaryl shuts the door behind him.

Taking a seat, I go over Jakoby's letter first. He apologizes for not getting in contact. He didn't know what to say, but he hopes to see me again in the capital. I think that makes sense, but worry remains. It just feels off. Then again, I could have been the one hoping for more and Jakoby went along with it out of pity. I wouldn't be surprised. I haven't ever had a functioning relationship.

"Nothing to do about it now, I guess," I say to myself, switching my attention to the large stack of documents sent from the church.

I start from the beginning where I learn Lore did tell the truth about his biological parents. There are records of a mission from the church to track down a vampire who sexually assaulted a mortal woman. He was put to death for his crimes.

After that, there's a death certificate for Charlize Garlin, Lore's mother. He was sent to an orphanage where he was adopted by Monroe Seymour four years later. They provided him with excellent schooling where he excelled in every subject, but he didn't have a lot of social interaction.

His older adoptive siblings, Belroe and Leymin, attended private school while Lore was homeschooled. Belroe and Leymin met the queen, attended formal gatherings, and Belroe even won multiple large scale hunting events that the nobles do annually. That makes sense seeing as Lore, regardless of his adoptive family, is a dhampir. He was the charity case, not their actual child.

The oddities that stand out the most are the deaths and even the disappearance of the Seymour family members. First there was the eldest son, Belroe, four years older than Lore, who went missing on the night of Lore's 18th birthday. The family interviews claim he vanished, although Monroe's wife, Graeda, was adamant Lore had something to do with it.