57. Darkness

After dropping the priest off in the infirmary, I call for backup as the captain instructed. However, chaos erupts on the ship. I hear the noise from the infirmary and follow the frantic calls. Whatever trait this vampire has, there's a time limit. I catch a glimpse of him reappearing among the crowd. People shriek in terror. When he realizes I have found him, he claws the nearest bystander. A woman screams when his talons slice her arm. Then he attempts to attack another. A seraphic who manages to conjure a shield that makes the vampire stumble. He lurches forward, becoming a flash of color among the crowd.

Like our time in Silra against Ikehn, I have limited options. There are too many bystanders. Offensive attacks could set the ship ablaze and send us crashing to the ground. Civilians scurry in all directions like frightened mice escaping the paws of a hungry cat. They don't know how to watch or dodge danger. One wrong move and I may hit them instead of the vampire. I may send us to our doom, so I have to be careful. Calculated.

Leaning down, I make a swift cast that allows me to sprint towards the wall. Gravity means nothing to me, though the cast causes an awful headache. Without anyone in my way, I barrel across the wall faster and faster until the vampire is in reach. He howls in pain when the blade of my axe catches his shoulder.

I jump off the wall, digging my axe deeper to drag him away from the crowd. He snatches the handle, trying to use brute strength to break it. He soon realizes that's impossible. Pressing his heels to the ground, he lurches upwards. My axe releases in a spray of red. He flips over me, landing behind. I kick my leg out. He jumps to avoid being tripped. A clawed hand grasps my robe. My weapon clatters to the floor when I release it. He tries to bring me towards him, fangs bared. My fingers dig into his wrist. My heels dig into the floor. I fling him over me like an empty sack, then slam my foot into his throat. He gasps for breath.

I release him to retrieve my axe, but the blade meets the metal floor rather than his throat. He has risen once more, and disappeared. My eyes scan the small lounge area. One would think people would have the sense to run, but the saying is true; curiosity killed the cat. Many remain on the outskirts, near what they think will be safe exits, in order to watch. Worried about who he may attack next, my gaze drifts to the onlookers. Odd movement catches my eye. The slight discoloration, almost a distortion in the air sprinting towards the exit.

I throw my axe. The vampire reappears, screaming with my axe embedded in his back. He falls to the floor, howling like a wounded animal. And that's when the people start shouting; "Kill it, Paladin! Kill the beast!"

My hesitation to do exactly as the crowd wants nearly costs a man his life. The vampire grabs his wrist, prepared to bite. My legs swiftly carry me. I grab the vampire's hair, remove my axe and slice his head clean off. Blood sprays over the man, who gags and stumbles back in horror. But the remaining onlookers are unaffected by the morbid display. They cheer. Louder. And louder. And louder. Until their words ring in my ears more powerful than morning church bells.

The room sways in my vision. The crowd cheers for the death of another monster. Some even step closer in grim curiosity. I haven't felt sick after a kill since the first few I took. But now, it takes all my willpower not to hurl as I push past the crowd. At some point, I think I tell security about the body. I'm not really sure. I stumble through the halls in search of the infirmary to check in on the priest. That's all I want to think about. Not about the body I left behind, the one others cheered me to make.

When I arrive at the infirmary, nurses have already tied the priest to the bed. He thrashes about wildly, practically foaming at the mouth. The bite marks are inflamed like wicked burns. His veins bulge in his neck to his forehead, face so red that he looks like a popped cherry.

"Paladin," someone says, bringing my horrified gaze to them. The doctor approaches me, frowning. "I know you likely wish to speak to your brother but, as you can see, he is in no condition to do so."