The Worst Night Ever (Part Two)

Tobey sat down, rocking himself slowly on his bed. It had been hours since he had left school and his mother still hadn't spoken to him. His anxiety was through the roof and all he could do was think.

His classmate's words had struck a chord with him. "No one likes you," He thought to himself glumly, realizing that before today he hadn't ever really considered what others thought of him. However, now that he knew, he felt bad... to them he was nothing more than a villain. He hadn't even started the fight at school, and yet he was still the one to be sent to detention. Maybe if he could convince his mother that he hadn't started the fight, he could avoid her wrath entirely.

Nervously he stood up, walking over to his mirror before finding his mother. With an attuned eye he looked over himself, picking out every imperfection before taking the time to try and fix each of them. His hair had grown unkempt from the rain he had endured several hours ago, his bow tie was crooked, his glasses dirty, and his vest askew. After everything was fixed he walked over to his bedroom door, hesitating before turning the golden knob. He then breathed before walking down the stairs.

Immediately upon reaching the last step an angry, distraught voice thundered through the house.

"What do you think you're doing downstairs?"

Immediately all courage left the boy. "I...I wanted to talk... to you..." His voice trailed off, and his throat tightened. He could see his mother sitting down at the computer in the living room, she had heard his footsteps walking down the stairs.

"You threatened your classmates... again," she wailed, turning to face him. Her eyes darted around wildly, trying to get her thoughts together. Tears were welling within them. "Again..."

Tobey remained quiet, looking away.

"I have tried to be a good mother to you..." She explained, her voices growing louder as she continued. "I have tried so hard to fix whatever makes you want to hurt people, but it has never worked..."

"I don't hurt people!" Tobey yelped, a harrowing feeling washing over him as he looked over his motives and past actions.

The woman rolled her eyes and tightened her hands. "Don't lie to me, Theodore," She hissed. "You have tested the patience and kindness of everyone around you for years. Nothing you do is right, you are a liar, a cheat, a..." she fumbled for words. "You're a monster. All you do is hurt people."

The boy was speechless and his brain turned hopelessly. "W-what?"

"How many times have you destroyed the city?" She asked rhetorically. "How many homes, jobs, and lives have you torn apart with your actions?"

"I-I..."

"You are so smart," She screamed. "But no one cares because you are such an awful person." Her face twisted into a look of disgust and horror as she looked down upon the creature she reluctantly called her son.

"I didn't start the fight!" Tobey yelped, in an attempt to get her to stop.

"When your father left, he probably knew how you were going to turn out..." Mrs. Mcallister muttered dejectedly. "He saw the signs and left..."

"Please... stop." Tobey shook his head, his eyes widening in horror. His classmates hated him, his mother hated him, his dad hated him, everyone hated him. Who was he and why was he such an awful person? Every ounce of pride that he had once had for himself diminished into nothingness, and tears streamed down his face.

"I've asked YOU to stop so many times, and never once have you listened!" She screamed. "You're poison." She spat, saying the word as if it were a slur. "Everyone you interact with, you hurt because you're nothing more than a mistake."