Opposites

Becky soared away quickly from the party, ignoring the cries of the children who begged her to stay for another four hours. This had easily been one of the single worst nights of her life. She hadn't gotten to speak with Violet once, and instead spent her time playing babysitter for an army of misbehaved children. However, despite having had a dreadful night, she had successfully managed to be a good role model.

Huggy on the other hand could have stayed for forever and was disappointed when Becky had scooped him up and alerted him that it was time to go.

The girl said nothing as she landed next to her bedroom window.

She felt more tired than usual. With a sideways glance she stretched out her arms looking over them wearily. They felt sore, and weak. "I just need some sleep," The girl thought to herself, crawling inside.

Exhausted, she quickly changed into a set of pajamas and laid down in bed. The mattress sank around her, and the sheets were so soft and light, that the girl felt it impossible to not fall asleep. However, her mind raced, and after a few minutes she realized she was still awake. "No..." the girl thought. "I need to rest." However, sleep was still refusing to come.

Bob snored lazily in the basket next to her, and the sound buzzed around her head obnoxiously. Annoyed, she covered her head with a pillow, but it did little to quell the sound.

The girl then found herself tossing and turning, desperately trying to get comfortable, but with each passing hour, sleep still refused to carry her off.

That's when she heard it. The twisting sound of metal beams, and thumping footsteps, crunching down on soft land. Immediately she sat up.

"Robots?!" Becky groaned, looking out the window. "This is ridiculous..." She muttered, taking a quick glance at her clock before standing up, her legs popped beneath her. 1:35 A.M. In a flash the girl transformed and looked over at her sidekick. Bob was fast asleep and considering her own troubles she decided not to wake him. She then quickly sped out of the window, careful to leave it unlocked. She had done this so many times before, that she now had a routine.

With great speed, she located the source of the sound almost instantly. The forest. It seemed that Tobey enjoyed attacking the woods, as he had been there more and more often throughout the past months. Becky couldn't blame him, the forest was a hidden gem within Fair City, and it was a shame that so few people visited it. The girl herself couldn't even remember the last time she had hiked there for fun.

With much caution, she landed a safe distance away. She had no idea why Tobey would be here at such an odd time. Maybe his robots glitched or went rogue during the night? It seemed more often than not something was always going wrong with his precious creations. Becky by no means doubted the boy's genius, but instead found his way of fixing bugs questionable.

As Becky walked through the quiet woods, trees swayed slowly in the cool breeze, their melodic dance creating beautiful shapes and shadows through the brilliant moonlight. Crickets chirped readily, quieting as the girl approached. Yet oddly there was no sign of any robots, just the hidden elegance of night. The sound had gone away entirely and Becky sighed. Maybe she had just been hearing things.

Yet, upon this revelation, she was hesitant to go back home. The forest was surprisingly beautiful at night, especially when she wasn't fighting crime, and strangely enough she felt comfortable here. She felt that she could think clearly here in the crisp night air.

Cautiously, the girl transformed back into Becky Botsford, looking around carefully before doing so. She then sat down on an old, rotting log. Her mind swam.

She felt... empty. Never in her life had she experienced such a dullness in her life before, and as she sat here restlessly she realized that she had been stuck in a loop for a long time now. Nothing was new anymore, and the surprise and wonder of life had completely vanished from her. Only now as she sat in the quiet clearing did she find the peace of mind she had been missing for so long. It was something new. Something entirely different. It had become harder and harder to enjoy saving the city anymore.