2.

Austin texts me right when I thought I could get some rest for once

Austin texts me right when I thought I could get some rest for once. If he wants to talk to me urgently, it really has to be important. I'm not ready, but I know that I have to speak to him. Of course. Starbucks in the mall up north at 10? I answer right away. I suggest that place, because I know it's only a fifteen minute drive from here. I'll manage to do that on my own, even though it won't be pleasant. 

I'll be there. Thank you. I read the message and put my phone aside. I wish we could talk today instead, I'm getting anxious just creating scenarios of what he could have to tell me in my head. I try not to think about it, but fail miserably. Finishing my tea, I decide it's best to head downstairs to help my mom with some house chores for the rest of the day. I'd rather be miserable with that, than be miserable alone upstairs. 

The night comes pretty quickly and it's hard for me to fall asleep or to find any sleep at all for that matter. At 8 in the morning I can't toss and turn any longer. I get up, head downstairs towards the kitchen and prepare the planned breakfast for my mom. The sun's out, shining onto our backyard terrace. I decide to set the table there, since I know it's going to be warm enough outside. Soon after, I start stirring up the batter for pancakes and start the coffee maker for mom. The smell of it must've woken her up, because after a good ten minutes, she joins me in the kitchen.

"What's this?" she asks me, coming towards me.

I look at her and smile back at her genuinely. "Just trying to give you something back for everything you've done for me these past few months" I say, pouring her a cup of coffee.

"Thank you sweetheart. I hope you know that's not necessary" she answers, grabbing the coffee from my hand.

"Go enjoy the sun outside, I'll bring the pancakes out when they're ready" I tell her, motioning for her to leave the kitchen. She does as told, and I pour some of the batter into the pan I've prepared. Soon, all of the pancakes are made, and I grab some fruit and sirup for us to eat them with. 

"These look amazing honey" mom compliments me, and we dig in soon after. Our breakfast feels peaceful, for the first time in these few months I feel calmness for a good thirty minutes. It's refreshing to say the least. "What are your plans for the day?" mom asks me, holding her face into the sun.

My heart starts to race when I remember I'll have to drive to see Austin soon. And with that, the peace is gone. "I'm... meeting a friend at ten, in the mall up north. Is it alright if I take your car?" I answer.

"Of course. I think I'll spend the day in the garden today. The weather is so nice" she says, looking happy to do so.

"Thank you. I'll help you after" I say, before standing to get  up put the rest of the food and the dishes away. Arriving back upstairs, I see that it's 9:15 am already, giving me merely thirty minutes to shower and get ready. That doesn't necessarily help me with my anxiety, but I'm glad that I can focus on that rather than having to think of more scenarios of how today's going to go.