3.

Austin shoots up from his seat to embrace me in a hug right away

Austin shoots up from his seat to embrace me in a hug right away. "Thank you, Mila. I know you won't regret it" he says before sitting back down again. 

I give him a half smile. "Is it terrible to say, that I have no idea what to say to him? I have to deal with so much stuff on my own, what if I can't make it better for him and just make everything worse?" I say, speaking out what's on my mind.

"I know you won't. I've talked so much to him, all he wants is for you to listen to what he has to say. He clearly needs you..." Austin says, trying to comfort me. "How are you, by the way? Sorry I didn't ask you earlier."

"Honestly? I've been just as miserable as him. My panic's been alright since my mind has been so busy with everything. I just... don't feel like doing anything anymore" I say honestly.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe this will be just as good for you as it will for him" Austin says, and I give him another grateful smile.

"Maybe" I say quietly.

"How do you want to do this then? I know where he'll be tonight, if you're up for it" Austin suggests. Things are getting realer by the minute. This might be fast, but why push the date back even further when it's inevitable at this point.

"Okay, but please don't tell him I'm coming. I'll try my best, but just in case I have to back out last minute" I say, getting more anxious by the minute. "Will he be at a party on campus?"

"Yeah" Austin nods his head back at me.

"Okay, that's a problem. My mom needs the car, I have no way of getting there" I say, thinking the plan won't work out.

"Don't worry about it. I'll pick you up at 8 if you want, and drop you back at your mom's house" Austin answers convinced, not bothered one bit. He really is a good friend for making this happen. 

"Thank you. I'm already getting nervous" I say, wiping my sweaty palms on my dress. 

"Don't be. I can tell you that you'll look at him, but you won't recognize him. Please just remember that deep down, he's still your Jace. I know it'll be hard, but I'll be by your side as long as you need me to" Austin says, reassuring me. 

I nod my head for the millionth time today. The drive with Austin to the party will be hard. Seeing Jace will be hard. I'm in for quite the day.

"Okay, I think I'll be heading out then. I need to mentally prepare" I say, half jokingly, half serious.

"Of course. I'll see you tonight. And thank you again, Mila" Austin says, as the two of us stand up. We say our goodbyes and soon after, I arrive back at my mom's car. I don't hesitate, I call Bree right away.

"Hey you" she says, perky as ever.

"Do you know?" I say, wasting no time.

Bree is quiet for a few seconds. "Yeah. Will you go see him tonight?" she asks, the same hope in her voice as Austin had earlier.