11.

When I wake up in the morning, I'm happy that Jace is still sleeping and getting the rest he probably needs

When I wake up in the morning, I'm happy that Jace is still sleeping and getting the rest he probably needs. I check my phone to see that it's merely eight in the morning, and my heart starts to race when I think about what these next few days will be like. I toss and turn, but realise that I won't be able to get any more rest. Usually I hate the thing I'm about to do, but I decide to open Google to read what a cold turkey drug withdrawal can look like. Austin already told me a few things, but I think I'd like to be prepared. The more I know the better. I open the first page that comes up and read the bold words. Anxiety, heavy sweating, shaking, body aches, stomach cramps, nausea. My eyes grow wide at the things Jace could experience. They sound horrible to say the least.

I continue to scroll on the page. Circulatory disorders, dizziness, massive temperature fluctuation. A tear appears in my eyes, but my heart starts to race even heavier when I read that sometimes cold turkey drug withdrawals can result in death. I jump out of bed with my phone in my hand, lock myself in the bathroom and sit down on the floor. My throat feels tight and dizziness is kicking in. I take a few heavy breaths and try to stop a full panic attack from breaking out. I dial Austins number right away, not knowing what to do with myself.

"Hey Mila. Everything okay?" Austin says as he picks up. He sounds wide awake, and I'm glad that I didn't pull him out of his sleep. 

"He could die. How could you not tell me that he could die?" I say, still a little hysterical. 

"Did you go on Google?" Austin says in his calm way.

"Yeah, and I'm seriously about to freak out Austin" I answer, letting a tear fall from my face. 

"Calm down, Mila. He's not going to die, that's a promise" he answers.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, please trust me. How is he doing?" Austin genuinely wants to know. 

I take a big breath. "When I came out of the bathroom last night, he did the last line he had on him. So I guess it's all starting today" I answer.

"Fuck, that stupid idiot. I'm sorry, Mila. Are you doing okay?" he asks gently.

"For now. Thank you for always being there for us. I'll try to be more calm from now on" I say, reassuring not only him but myself. 

"Of course, call me any time. And please don't Google anymore, alright?"

"Okay" I promise him, and we both hang up the phone soon after. I stay seated for a few more seconds, still processing all of the information. A knock on the door interrupts my train of thought.

"Mila, are you in there?" Jace asks me gently. I wipe the rest of my tears away, not wanting him to notice that I've been crying a little. Picking myself back up from the floor, I open the door only to look at a tired, vulnerable looking Jace.

"I'm in here. Sorry, did I wake you?" I answer quietly, leaning against the door.

"No, it's okay. I guess I was just having a weird dream and needed to see if you're still here" he answers, being completely honest with me. I touch his hand gently, and almost jerk it away again when I feel how cold it is. Temperature fluctuations.