10.

When the clock strikes seven pm, I can't sit still any longer

When the clock strikes seven pm, I can't sit still any longer. Jace is still sleeping soundly beside me, but I'm glad when he turns away and I can move my legs again. Before I start another episode of Queer Eye, I decide it's time for me to get up and get some things done. If we're going to be here for the next ten days at least, this place needs some cleaning and some groceries. Maybe that might help Jace feel a little better, even when he's miserable. I try to be as quiet as possible when I get out of bed and get dressed again. Even though I'm anxious to go out by myself, I know that it's something I have to do. 

Grabbing Jace's car keys from the counter, I'm sure he won't mind if I take his car. The groceries will be too heavy for me to carry for the following days. On my way downstairs, I already try to take a mental note of things we need and meals I can prepare easily. I'm not sure how Jace's appetite is going to be, so I go for easy and healthy meals. I think of grabbing some fruit and ginger, two things that always help me get better when I'm sick. Then again, Jace is going through drug withdrawal, he's doesn't have the flu or a cold. Whatever, it might help him anyway.

I unlock Jace's car, get inside and pull the seat forward. Soon after, I reach the huge grocery store not too far from our apartment. My legs feel a little weak as I'm grabbing a shopping cart, and I'm getting slightly nervous about picking up my long list of things all by myself. It's okay, Mila. Nothing will happen to you. And even if, there are plenty of people here that will help you. I keep repeating that sentence over and over, and surprisingly it makes me feel a little better. Walking through the store aisle by aisle, I grab everything that we could possibly need these next few days, from bread, to fruit, to pasta, veggies and more. Obviously I know that I'll have to return to the store again, but I'll be happy to avoid it for as long as I can.

About twenty minutes later I have everything we need and head to the checkout. For some reason, waiting in line always makes me the most anxious. I'll feel like I have to stand in place and it's not as easy to leave anymore. My heart starts racing when I empty the shopping cart, but I try to endure it as good as I can. I feel a little relief when it's my turn to pay, and I take a deep breath once I arrive outside. It takes me a little while to put all of the groceries in Jace's car and I already know that I'll have to take a few trips to carry them upstairs at home. 

The car ride back is not as bad as the drive to the store, but I still feel relieved when I arrive at the apartment. I decide to take the things that need to be refrigerated up with me, the rest I can grab later. With one paper bag in my arm, I unlock the door quietly. As presumed, Jace is still sleeping and I again wonder how many drugs he took earlier. If I wouldn't see him breathing, I'd be worried about him. I store the groceries in the fridge neatly, careful not to wake Jace, and notice my own stomach rumbling. Before starting dinner, I return to the car to grab the rest of the food. When I arrive back upstairs for the second time, Jace is wide awake, scrolling on his phone. He looks at me as I put the bags on the kitchen table.

"There you are. Where'd you go?" he asks, and I see that he still isn't doing really good.

"I went to pick up some groceries for us" I answer quietly, noticing Jace's still dilated pupils.