12.

Five days

Five days. We're five days into Jace's drug withdrawal, half-time as I like to call it. As presumed, everything went downhill from the first day on. Unlike the first few nights, Jace now finds it hard to sleep at all, the pain and the anxiety keeping him awake constantly. His mood has been down, and I don't blame him for it. Most nights I lay awake with him, because his anxiety is brushing off on me. I'm just as tired as he probably is.

Maybe caring for someone going through a drug withdrawal can be compared to life with a newborn. I never sleep, I'm always tired, and I still have the deep need to care for someone who wouldn't be okay on their own.  These are the kind of silly thoughts I come up with two to three hours of sleep at night. 

I lay in bed wide awake this morning, thinking of which at home activity I can start today to pass the time. In these past fews days I've done more puzzling and watched more tv shows than in my whole life together, all while there's the best weather outside. I don't mind though. 

On his first full day without drugs, Jace said that he'd do anything so the two of us can have a chance again. I, on the other hand, would do anything to make him feel better again.

Just as I'm about to decide what to do with my day, Jace shoots up out of bed from beside me. He's been struggling with stomach cramps all night, and I know that he's heading for the toilet to throw up. I make my way after him, and sure enough I see him leaning over the toilet. I place my hand on his back softly for support, even though I know that I can't really help him.

Jace looks weak, and I'm sure that he feels it too. He can barely find the strength to push himself back into a standing position. "Do you want to take a bath? I think it'll be good for you" I say gently, not wanting to push him.

He looks at me with his tired eyes. "Sure. Give me a second" is his answer, and I nod my head back at him. I walk over to the bathtub and start the water. I make sure it's not too hot or too cold, and then I leave Jace behind in the bathroom. 

I want to shed a tear at the sight of Jace, but I've been holding myself together pretty good these past few days. I'm wondering when the time comes that I fall apart, I know it will be here eventually. I think it's a good idea to change the sheets today. Jace is in that bed constantly, and who doesn't love the comfort of fresh new sheets? Removing the old fabrics quickly, my phone buzzes before I can put on the new.

"Hey mom" I say as I pick up, when I see who's calling me.

"Mila, where have you been? Are you okay? I haven't heard from you and I was worried about you" she says, almost a little frantic. 

I feel bad for the fact that I've ignored her one too many times these past few days. I haven't had the strength to talk to her, not knowing what to say. "I'm sorry mom. I'm good, just really busy" I say, trying to find a good excuse.

"Are you sure, honey? Are things with Jace good?" she asks me, and my heart starts to race. What do I answer?

Just as I'm about to find another good excuse, I'm interrupted by a loud "Fuck" and the sound of a thump coming from the bathroom. My heart starts to race because I don't know what just happened to Jace, and because I know my mom has heard.