18.

Before Jace felt better, I had promised him that we would enjoy the rest of summer together when he's himself again

Before Jace felt better, I had promised him that we would enjoy the rest of summer together when he's himself again. So far we did just that. Even though it's not always as hot here in Seattle, we did our best to visit as many parks, lakes and ice cream parlours as we could, to make up for the lost time of Jace's withdrawal. I think in a way we're both still healing from it, and staying busy makes everything better for the two of us.

Jace and I are strolling through Pike Place Market, one of my favourite places in Seattle. Now that it's September, the weather is already getting a little colder again and I don't mind one bit. "Your birthday's tomorrow. What would you like to do?" I ask Jace, as we make our way back to the car.

I can tell Jace is thinking about it for a few minutes. "Honestly? Nothing extravagant. I'd just love to spend the day with you" he says, and my heart sinks for him. Sometimes I can still see it in his eyes, that he's not back to himself to one hundred percent. The old Jace would've loved to have all the people he loves around on his birthday, I'm sure of it. 

"Should we at least make the trip to go see your dad? I'm sure he'd be happy to see you on your birthday?" I ask Jace, trying to set my plan into motion. Asking him was all part of the act, because I know exactly what we'll be doing on his birthday. 

A little while ago, I asked Austin if he would help me throw a surprise party for Jace on the 15th of September. I figured that after everything that's happened, he could benefit from having  the people that support him around, to show him he's not alone and has all of us. Even if not everyone knows about what was going on with him. It's an attempt to get him back to his old, true self.  Maybe it's a pathetic one, but I don't care.

Austin then called William, Jace's dad, and helped me to invite everybody that should be there. William loved the idea too.

"I mean, I guess. If you want to?" he says, as we make our way back to the car. Mentally, I'm fist pumping that it was this easy to get him to agree to go. That means everything is set and his little birthday party can start.

"Of course" I answer, stroking my thumb over Jace's hand that I'm holding. We make our way back to the car, seeing that it's almost six in the evening already. For some reason, I worry about tomorrow slightly. Maybe he won't like the surprise at all, considering the fact that he just said he wants to do nothing special. 

Since everyone's already invited, I guess we'll see his reaction tomorrow. Jace and I are coming, the party is on I text Austin, to let him know everything is going according to plan.

Perfect Austin answers right away. I slip my phone back into my pocket so I won't raise any suspicion from Jace. He doesn't seem to notice anything, which I'm glad about.

"What do you want to do tonight?" he asks me, as he starts the engine of his car to take us home.

"It's up to you. Do you want to stay up until midnight, or go to sleep early?" I say, as I feel his hand creeping its way onto my thigh.