9.

I didn't expect him to pick up that quickly, but here we are

I didn't expect him to pick up that quickly, but here we are. "Hi dad, how are you?" I ask him, not sure how to start this conversation.

"I'm good, it's nice to hear from you" he says, and I almost feel bad for shutting him out too. Seems like that's something I've gotten really good at. 

"Look, I called because I sort of have a favour to ask. I know that we obviously have to talk about some things, but I need your help. We need your help" I say, simply getting it all out there.

"You're my daughter, I would do anything for you. Just tell me what it is" he says calmly.

I take a deep breath, before explaining the situation to him. "I won't go into detail, but he have a problem with someone. His name's Derek, he goes to the same college as Jace and I. Jace and him used to be friends, but something happened and now Derek's blackmailing him. It could be pretty serious. If he goes to the police, Jace might go to jail" I say. "Can you stop him, give him a scare or I don't know, maybe blackmail him back or something?"

It sounds like dad is typing away on his laptop. "Derek Jacobsen?" dad asks me, and I look at Jace questioningly. He nods his head at me.

"Yeah, that's him" I answer quietly.

"That son of a bitch. We've had problems with him before. Has he harassed you too?" my dad asks me with anger.

"Nothing too serious. He's tried to intimidate me a couple of times, but I'm more worried about Jace. We need the blackmailing to go away. Jace wants to stop selling, but he can't just because of him" I explain further.

"I have it handled. We'll make sure he won't bother you guys anymore" dad says confidently, and for some reason I believe his every word.

"It's probably best I don't ask how..." I say quietly.

"I'm your dad Mila. Just trust me to do the right thing" he adds again. We're quiet for a few seconds.

"I appreciate you doing this for us, thank you dad" I say, signalling him that I'm no longer mad at him. I feel like nothing can shock me anymore at this point.

"I love you too, talk to you soon Mila" he answers, and we both hang up the phone. 

I sigh in relief when I hang up, as Jace grabs my hand. "Thank you for doing that, that sounded promising. Even though I'd just like to punch the shit out of Derek instead" Jace says half-smiling, and I'm sure even though he pretends that he's joking, I know that he's serious. 

I half-smile back at him for the sake of it. "I'm just happy when he's finally out of our lives, but I guess we'll see what happens from now on. Who knew that my dad being the biggest drug lord of them all could be an advantage for us..." I say, placing my own hand over Jace's, that's currently laying on my thigh. Jace is shaking so vigorously, that I almost startle when I touch him. "What's going on?" I ask him with empathy. For a reason I feel like I already know what's happening to him.