5

She raised her chin as she watched the servants open the doors for her.

"Thank you Steve." She greeted nonchalantly making the man's eyes widen in surprise at the sound of his name coming from her mouth and the formulation of a 'thank you'.

"Y-you're welcome, young princess." He stammered as he watched her walk past him.

Everyone had stopped what they were doing as they witnessed the princess and future queen walk inside the big ball room.

Her face was nonchalant as she was presented and then walked towards her spot next to Wilson.

"You look amazing Hazel." Prince Wilson said eagerly as he smiled at her.

The princess gave him a fake smile and nod, then looked towards the door again.

Once again the same old guests were invited, with the same old boring outfits.

But once again, a young guy caught her eye.

"Jay." She couldn't help but whisper as she watched him stand at the door waiting for the King to be announced.

Prince Wilson managed to hear her and looked her way. "What was that?"

Hazel raised her eyebrows in surprise and shook her head.

"It's nothing."

Everyone bowed towards the king as he walked inside with the queen on his arm.

Their big smiles lit up the room as they headed to their assigned spaces next to Hazel and Wilson.

Jay followed behind the king as he was required to.

As he passed by, he politely bowed at the prince and princess as a greeting to which the prince did not respond.

Hazel on the other hand, gave him a small bow herself as she contained her smile at the sight of him.

*****

"We are here to celebrate my lovely son's birthday. I can't believe I am stating this fact, but my little boy is turning 22." The queen of Hampton emotionally announced as she stood at the center of the room, her hands were held together like any polite queen would and her stance was as straight as a bamboo stick.

The crowd clapped for prince Wilson Dupier, who had a smug smile on his lips as he waved at the people.

"We decided to not do a big celebration, due to the recent events of approaching war in the East." His father said softly as he nodded his head.

The crowd went quiet at the sudden statement which had previously shook up the entire kingdom.

There was an approaching war in the East, exactly where the young princess' castle was.

She wasn't aware until it was announced that troops were sent to the outskirts of the city, due to the attack by Maignes, a small kingdom a couple hundred miles away from the borders.

The common people only found out at the same time the princess did, and there was an outright panic outside the castle walls.

But, of course, the rich and wealthy had bigger things to worry about.

A young prince's birthday.

"Thank you for coming to my celebration tonight. I want to thank his majesty the king, for letting me host my event in his wonderful castle." The prince smiled as he gestured towards Hazel's father who only bowed his head.

"I also want to thank, his wonderful daughter, who has occupied an enormous space in my heart. Young princess Hazel."

Everyone looked at the princess and she gave a wave as she tried to smile,  which was more like a grimace than anything else.