34

Hazel marched into her father's meeting room with a confident strut, opening the double doors without hesitation.

Everyone in the room turned to look at her, stopping what they were doing.

"Father!" She called out.

The king's skin crawled when he heard the voice he hadn't heard in years.

He stood from his chair slowly as he raised his eyebrows.

"Hazel?" He asked as his voice broke, running towards her and pulling her into a hug.

The princess hugged him back as she closed her eyes tightly.

He looked behind her at the group of unknown men and did a double take as he spotted the prince of Maignes.

"What did you do to my daughter? Was it you?!" He asked harshly as he pulled away from her.

"Woah there horsie..." Niki said with raised hands as he stepped back.

"You-"

"No, he helped me father." She informed as she shook her head.

"What the hell is happening?" He questioned as he turned to look at her.

"Wilson-"

"Wilson! We need to let Wilson know, he's going to be so happy you're here and alive-"

"He's dead." The princess said as she watched the king's face falter.

"Dead?"

She nodded her head as she looked down at her feet for a quick second.

"He was the one who tried to kill me, father."

The king looked at her in slight disbelief as he shook his head.

"He drugged me, and h-he raped me. So, I-I just- I killed him." Her voice wavered as her tears came back to her eyes.

Her father's knees faltered as he was held by the guards surrounding him in an attempt to have him not fall.

The person he had trusted to take care of his daughter. To take care of his country. Was the person causing the most harm.

The guilt was starting to bubble up inside the former king as he stared at his daughter.

She quickly wiped her tears as she took a deep breath.

"And I don't regret it." She spoke with the knot in her throat.

"Princess Hazel! I brought more guards!" Eli ran into the room with Jane as they smiled brightly.

About four to five men followed behind them as Fran frantically ran inside with Jay right behind her.

"It's impossible to control these kids." She heaved as she placed her hands on her knees.

Jay's gaze fell on the princess as he walked towards her, but stopping once seeing the king and the committee standing there.

Hazel looked at Jay and turned to look at the king.

"I'm the queen now. That throne is mine." She said hardly as she placed her hands elegantly one on top of the other. "We're signing a treaty with Maignes and I'm passing the law of equal pay."

"And these might be many shocks at once. But I'm marrying him." She informed her father as she pointed at Jay whose eyes widened and ears flushed red.

Jane and Eli smiled widely as they looked back and forth between them.

"I don't care what you, or anyone else has to say." She sternly said as she looked around the room at the group of old men, who were still in shock at the sight of the late queen.