8

"Good morning." Fran greeted excitedly as she walked into now Jay's headquarters.

Jane and Eli looked over at Fran and the few other maids that came in behind.

"Breakfast is served and we have brought some clothes for the new scholars." Fran said as she watched the maids place the outfits on the couch.

Jay stared in shock at the table that was being wheeled in with all different kinds of breakfast foods.

"You didn't have to do all of this."

"Tell that to the princess."

The kids ran over to the couch as they looked through the boxes excitedly.

Jane gasped as she saw the number of dresses that were in different boxes.

"These look like a dream! These are real princess dresses." She exclaimed as she grabbed one out of the box with a big smile.

"I will help you wear them." Fran said as she went towards her and grabbed her hand, pulling her into a room.

Some of the maids followed behind, while others set up the table.

*****

Jay stood next to the door as he watched the young princess study.

It had been at least 20 minutes since he had gotten there and so far it was a pretty easy job to work with the princess.

She was very focused as she wrote in her notebook. She would get angry when the ink would dry and she would have to re-dip.

Jay found it quite amusing how she seems so invested in getting her handwriting to be perfect.

"May I ask why you need to study?"

"It's part of my duties as a princess. I have to learn everything about my ancestors and the kingdoms surrounding me."

"I thought only the king and queen had to do this."

The princess looked over at Jay with furrowed eyebrows, making him nod his head in understanding.

"I'm sorry. I'll be quiet." He made a gesture with his hand as if he had zipped his mouth shut.

The princess turned back to her book, containing her smile.

The room went quiet again as the only thing heard was the sound of the dip pen on the rough pages.

Birds were chirping outside and the princess was already starting to feel distracted.

The thing about the princess, is that her attention span isn't very big. You could say she has the attention span of a fish. She gets distracted very easily, any sound can make her lose her focus.

"If I stop studying now, you won't tell Fran will you?"

"Why would I need to?" Jay questioned with a small frown as he tilted his head.

"The other guard always did." She complained as she shook her head, closing the book in front of her and leaving the ink on her pages to dry.

"So what do you normally do young princess?" Jay couldn't help but ask as he watched her place her hands on her lap.

"I have horse riding at 12, until then I usually go to the library to play chess."

****

Jay raised his eyebrows as he watched the princess play a chess game on her own.

The library was quiet once again. It was obviously reserved for the royal family, which only consisted of three people. So, the huge place was almost always empty except for the presence of the princess.