18 | at your doorstep

"He kissed me!" My best friend shrieks into the phone as I'm wandering down the streets of our neighborhood.

"What?" I say slightly surprised and baffled.

"It was so romantic and he was such a gentleman, opening the door, holding a hand on my back, treating me so good" she keeps telling me about her date with Peter. I can't tell how all the things he did are bare minimum and how Xavier and Miles have been treating us like that for our whole life.

"That's amazing Elia, I'm so happy for you!" I really am happy for her... kind of. I'm not the biggest fan of Peter but maybe we got off on the wrong foot.

"Aww thank you! He also asked for a second date" she sounds so excited that I truly feel her happiness and if he makes her happy, then I'll suck it up for now.

"A second date? Wow" okay that could have sounded a bit better.

"You don't sound all too pleased" she calls me out. Busted.

"Of course I am, it's just hard picturing you with anyone else. I'm really happy for you Ophelia, it's amazing that you found him but you can't blame me for only seeing you and Xav, it's always been you two. Besides, we didn't get the best greetings from him when we saw him at the ballet."

"I know. I don't want to blame you at all and I know the ballet wasn't the best moment of his life or yours, sorry, I just wished someone would share the same excitement I feel" I think my heart bursted a little.

"I'm so sorry, honey. I definitely want to meet him again, and start over."

"I'd like that" she says with a relieved voice. I just reached the playground and saw familiar faces.

"Oh, I see Mrs Carter and Mrs Morgan at the playground with Dina, I should probably say hi"

"Of course, I'll talk to you soon, love you bye"

"Love you more"

We end our phone call and I walk over to Miles's stepmom and Xavier's mom.

"Diana! What a nice surprise" Emilia says when she sees me.

"I was just taking a little walk around the neighborhood, thought I'd say hi" I give them both a quick hug as a greeting.

"We were just talking about how amazing it is to see you and Miles finally together" they're both smiling widely and I can only do the same back however, my smile is an awkward tight lipped smile.

"Yeah... it's amazing isn't it? So, is Dina playing with her friends?" I quickly try to change the subject. I don't want to talk about me and Miles, I'm scared they'll see right through me.

"Yes she is, I was just sitting here when Alvita came by" Emilia says, pointing to her daughter.

"I just got off a shift and now we're stuck talking about everything. We heard your parents are out of town" Xavier's mom says and I nod.

"Oh yeah, they're in Italy for the business"

"How lovely, I'm sure Miles is spending some extra nights with you then" both of them chuckles and give me a small smirk making me slightly uncomfortable but I try to laugh it off with them.

"Definitely, I guess I can't get enough of him" and this is where I mentally slap myself. The two women laugh until we hear a shout from the playground.

"Diana!" The little voice screams and Dina's head pops up and she starts running towards us. I pick Dina up in my arms, hugging her and kissing her cheek.

"Hi pretty girl" I say with a smile on my face.

"Oh that reminds me. Diana, we're holding a volunteer day at the children's hospital where you can give toys, play and talk with the kids on Wednesday, and I was wondering if you and the others would want to join? Xav will be there of course but I know the kids would love it if you all were there" Alvita tells me.

"Of course" I smile, thinking about all the children "I'd want nothing more, it sounds amazing but I have to ask Ophelia about her schedule due to her rehearsals however, I'm sure Miles is available"

Alvita smiles and claps her hands together "Oh of course, thank you so much" she gives me one quick hug.

"Well I have to go and get dinner cooking, I accidentally told the staff to take the weeks off while my parents are away" I laugh nervously knowing it was a big mistake but they don't hear my nerves and laugh along with me.

"Good luck sweetie, we'll see you around" Emilia smiles.

"It was really nice seeing you all" I smile at the mothers before turning to the little girl in my arms "bye princess" I kiss Dina's cheek before setting her down on the ground.

"Bye Diana" she says before I turn around and walk back home.

-

I'm in my kitchen and I think I made way too much food, I don't know how to cook so now I'm stuck with one bowl of my avocado salad and three boxes filled with the leftovers.

The rain started pouring an hour ago and I've been keeping my subtle playlist, perfect for rainy days, on repeat. I dance around my kitchen, actually enjoying my own company for once. It's weird being completely alone, there has always been someone around my whole life. I kind of have a bad habit of not treating myself well when I'm alone, which is one of the reasons I always have people around me.

Just then I hear the doorbell. I stop in my tracks, rethinking if I ordered something or invited someone but I don't recall. I'm not sure who's at my door, it could only be someone from the neighborhood due to the fact that it's gated and on a freaking island.

I unlock the door and my eyes widen a bit as I see him. Drenched from the rain in only a t-shirt and sweatpants. His hands tremble and his eyes are puffy and red as he stares at me.

"I didn't know where else to go"

A short chapter but how about that ending?

I thought better post a short chapter than ghost you all again for three months so BE GRATEFUL... okay love you all have an amazing day or night xx