20 | unanswered feelings

Practice is over and Miles is driving me and Xavier to the hospital for the volunteer day. I couldn't be more grateful to have Xavier in the car. These past days have been incredibly awkward. Mine and Miles's car rides to school have been dead quiet and before we go our separate ways to class he kisses my cheek, barely looking me in the eyes and just walks off.

Today is the first time there's an actual conversation in the car since... Well, that night.

"Did you talk to Elia?" Xavier asks scrolling through his playlist to pick out which songs to play.

"Yeah, she'll come by later after practice" I reply, smiling to myself when I see us closing in on the hospital. There's one little girl I can't wait to see again.

When we arrive at the right floor we see the big open room full of children with their families and other volunteers.

"Oh I see Natalia, come on miles" I grab his hand and pull him towards the sweet girl sitting in a wheelchair. "Hi sweetie!" I greet her and a huge smile spreads across her face when she sees me.

"Diana!" she replies and I wrap my arms around her, giving her a hug and small kiss on her cheek.

"Where's your mom? You're all alone" I look around for a quick second to see if I can spot her however, I only see Natalia frowning.

"Mama had to work today," the girl replies. It wasn't anything new... Natalia's mom is a single mother who escaped her home country when she found out she was pregnant with her abusive boyfriend. She came here to New York to raise her daughter. When Natalia was diagnosed with leukemia at 5 years old her mother wanted to be with her at all times but someone had to pay the medical bills which is why she works three different jobs.

"I'm so sorry honey," I give her a weak smile "me and Miles will keep you company then, how does that sound?" I ask her and she immediately smiles and nods her head in response.

I turn to Miles "could you get some papers and pencils so we can maybe draw?"

"Of course, I'll be right back" he smiles at Natalia before running away to get some essentials.

I watch him go and sigh "Why did you hold Miles's hand when you came here?" I quickly turn around when I hear her question.

"Oh... um" I stutter, not knowing what to say.

"Is he your boyfriend now?" She grins with a knowing look in her eyes.

"I guess, yeah" I answered, taking a seat next to her.

"That's good" she smiles and I take her hand and give it a small kiss.

"How are you feeling?" I know she hates the question but since I haven't seen her for a while she knows I'll ask.

"I'm alright. Xavier is here a lot, I like that" she winks at me and I chuckle, her crush on Xavier is absolutely adorable.

"I'll try to visit you more often, I promise!" I say and by that time Miles is back and we end up painting all kinds of things and playing games. After a while a nurse comes by to say hello.

"Did you give them your letters yet?" She asks Natalia and her eyes widen.

"Oh I forgot. So stupid" Natalia says, reaching for her bag. Miles looks at me for a brief second, looking confused and concerned. Two letters are handed to us and I open it and read;

Welcome to Natalia Galanis 7th birthday!
Where: Morgan's children hospital,
floor 5, room 16
When: April 5th
Xoxo, Natalia

"Mama said to invite my friends" are the words Natalia says to almost have me break down in tears. I give her a hug and tell her I'll be there.

"Me too, kiddo" Miles smiles slightly, putting the letter in his jacket.

Me and Miles spend the rest of the day with Natalia. Little Will comes by and draws with us for an hour before he returns to his family. When Ophelia arrives later on they play a few board games, tell jokes and stories.

Xavier is in the passenger seat and Miles is driving while me and Ophelia rest our heads against each other on our way home. It's quiet except for the faint music from the radio.

I stare out the window thinking about Natalia. She lives such an unfair life. She is amazing, talented, social and so incredibly young while dealing with this heavy sickness. Her mother... a true superhero, working three jobs just to give her daughter the best treatment New York can offer her.

"Guys," I say after a while of thinking "Natalia's birthday is in two weeks... I have an idea on what to give her"

~
"Have fun tonight! But not too much fun" Xavier says before closing the car door, leaving me and Miles alone. We had stayed at Ophelia's place after the hospital for too many hours just having a great time like we always have, just the four of us.

It's silent until we reach my driveway. "Are you staying at your dad's place?" I ask Miles and he's silent for a few seconds.

"No, I'm not really talking to him at the moment, I'm just gonna drive back to my apartment" he says... I wonder if that was why he came to me that night, something happened with his dad.

"Miles, it's nearly 3 am, you're not driving all the way back to Manhattan. Come on, my parents told me they're staying in Italy for another week so I could use the company"

I put "How I Met Your Mother" on the TV in my room as background noise and watch when me and Miles head into my bedroom. I leave him be as I walk into my bathroom to get ready.

My head keeps thinking about all the possible scenarios about why Miles and Mr Carter aren't on speaking terms. Maybe he found out about the plane tickets I gave Miles to see his mother and brother during spring break... No it couldn't be because even though they're divorced they share a business together and there's nothing bad between them.

I look at myself in the mirror "Just ask him" I whisper to my reflection.

When I walk out of the bathroom, Miles is sitting on the edge of my bed, staring into the distance. I sight, walking over to him and standing between his legs.

"Did something happen with your dad that night?" I lift his chin up with my fingers to make him look at me.

He nods.

"Well, you might not want to talk about it but whatever happened, I want you to know that I will always be here for you, if you need someone to talk to or just cry to, I'm here" I wrap my arms around his neck and bring him in for a hug, showing him comfort.

Miles wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me tight against him. We stay like that for what feels like forever...

Just me and him... and a thousand unanswered feelings.