III

If only they saw the face Rin made when she found out that Fairy Tail was conspiring with Jellal after all these years. His guild, Crime Sorciere, consisted of criminals including Ultear and Melody from Grimoire Heart and Jellal Fernandez himself. Rin was infuriated to find out this information, especially that Jellal was joining the Grand Magic Games under the name Mystogan. If it hadn't been for Erza's persuasion and their agreement to unlock her Second Origin, she would've taken them straight to the Council for incarceration.

But, given the extra power they granted her, she could overlook this one.

Unfortunately, time was not on Rin's side and the Games had come much faster than she'd hoped. She knew that the second Sting smelled her in the same city, he'd be hot on her heels. It was unavoidable at this point and she began cursing at Jura's words.

Don't fight what you can't control.

Rin scowled as she settled into her inn for the following week. While Fairy Tail mostly resided at Honey Bone, Rin upgraded herself to a nicer hotel not far from the arena, using what extra money she made from the Council. Leese was ecstatic about it; having a calm place to reside away from the guild and the noise.

Upon arrival, the first thing Rin did was set up her communication lacrima so that she was available if the Council called upon her. However, she figured that they'd be more lax this week since they also liked to watch the games.

The second thing Rin took liberty of was changing into some casual clothes so that she could walk the city's vast festival before the games began later that night. It couldn't hurt to participate in the festivities for once.

She dressed in comfortable black pants and a tight maroon top that showcased her midriff a bit. After throwing on some black sneakers, she nuzzled Leese close to her and jumped off her balcony into the bustling streets of Crocus.

There were flowers everywhere, fitting for the Flower Blooming Capital. The woman's violet eyes gazed around in awe at everything on display for the people as well as the advanced technology that the Kingdom had developed. This city truly was a sight to see. And it was huge compared to places like Magnolia.

Rin and Leese stopped everywhere, trying food and desserts, indulging in entertainment, and dancing to local musicians in the streets. It was the first time in ages where Rin let loose and really enjoyed herself. She needed it; to get her mind off of her impending doom and the struggles that were to come with the Grand Magic Games. It was her last chance to really have fun before she had to return to the real world.

"This place is amazing!" Rin smiled―really smiled―at Leese and playfully chased after the Exceed. "No! What's gotten into you? Stop it!" The two laughed joyously as they ran through the streets, flower petals tickling at their feet.

"Come here!" Rin used her magic to draw the cat closer to her reach. Leese struggled in her hold, trying to paw her way out of the girl's arms.

"You cheater!" Rin giggled and hugged the cat close to her chest, enjoying every last bit of this moment and storing it deep in her heart. "Hey, Rin." The brunette hummed in acknowledgement. "Look!" The woman glanced in the direction of Leese's paw, finding a large group of men becoming quite rowdy in the middle of the street. Her brows furrowed at the sight; quite a downturned event compared to the rest of the festival

"Is there a fight?" The two walked closer, not even thinking for a second to check their surroundings before making their approach. Leese flew from the girl's arms and looked down into the middle of the group, her voice catching in her throat.

"Rin is not gonna be happy about this," she mumbled. Meanwhile, Rin pushed her way through the crowd of men and into the middle with a stumble. There, she saw a familiar mop of pink hair and a blue cat looking up at a pair of Dragon Slayers. But, the pinkette was quick to scramble to his feet.

"Did you lose your dragons in the year X777, too?" The blonde Dragon Slayer tilted his head at Natsu, his gloved hands perching on top of his hips.

"Ah, well... Not exactly."

"Let's tell him the truth," added Rogue. The Twin Dragons of Sabertooth leered down at the Fairy Tail members with fierce eyes. "The dragons that taught us Dragon Slaying Magic... We destroyed them with our own hands in order to become true Dragon Slayers."

Rin could feel the rage rolling off of Natsu, the whole area heating up a degree or two. She frowned at the revelation. She couldn't imagine doing something as irrational as killing a beloved dragon, even if she was considered a Dragon Slayer.

"You killed your parents?" The pinkette was practically seething at the two males. He was about to get up in their faces until two loud claps silenced the crowd.

"Alright, alright! I think it's time we end tonight's festivities, no?" All heads spun around to look at Rin who had a surprisingly calm demeanor despite the situation. "Natsu," she warned.

He immediately backed down from the two Sabertooth members, knowing that whatever ensued would be left for Rin to clean up. And he wouldn't hear the end of it. "Lucy." The blonde woman stood up and practically saluted the brunette. "Erza is waiting for you guys at the inn. Don't forget why we're here."

"Yes ma'am!" With that, Lucy gathered her partner and Happy and sped off toward their inn in order to avoid Erza's wrath for being late.

"You..." Rin's eyes traveled from where they watched her guildmates sprint off to the blue-eyed blonde who stared at her questioningly. "So, I finally know what you look like." Rin's serene smile quickly dissipated and her arms crossed over her chest defensively. "Fairy Tail, huh?" She cocked a brow at Sting. "That's unfortunate."

"Come on, Leese," she snarled. Her good mood had immediately turned sour and that meant that the night had drawn to a close.

"Okay!" The two began exiting the crowd but were stopped when Sting jumped in front of them and cut off their path.

"I'm sorry, it's all in good fun," he mused. "My name is Sting Eucliffe. And you are?"

"Busy." The blonde merely laughed at her spunk and began walking alongside her.

"Oh, come on. Don't be like that with me." Rin glared at him as he winked, not finding this one bit amusing. "Fine. How about this? If Sabertooth comes out on top on the first day, you go on a date with me."

"No, thanks." She pushed past him finally, increasing the pace she walked at.

"You're gonna turn down a date with your mate?" She saw red. Suddenly, all she cared about was kicking his ass as her rage took over her body. She spun around and marched up to him, ready to beat the shit out of him.

"Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?!" She gripped his jacket collar with both hands, drawing his face closer to her. However, he gave the opposite reaction she was expecting and smiled down at her with narrowed eyes. "Listen, Eucliffe. I don't give a shit who or what you are unless you decide to learn to show respect." She threw him back, making him stumble, and continued on her way.

"Right, right... I gotta respect my Council Members. Almost forgot." He was toying with her at this point. She had forgotten that he enjoyed her attitude and was just trying to pull a reaction out of her. Unfortunately for him, that was an unwise decision.

The blonde was suddenly surrounded in a purple aura, his body completely frozen in place and unable to move. Rin's hand was outstretched toward him, a black orb around her hand. She began playing with him, moving his limbs around like a marionette. "What are you doing to me?" His teeth grit in frustration, trying and failing to break out of her hold.

"Deciding if I need to teach you a lesson or not." The two glared at each other, ferocity becoming apparent as their eyes turned to those of a dragon. Finally, Rin released him and went on her way, deciding not to waste her energy on someone like him. "Come on, Leese." The Exceed quickly met up with her partner, silently comforting the brunette from her turmoil of emotions.