VII

After reassuring the woman that his injuries weren't bad enough to require anything more than an infirmary visit, Jura parted ways and Rin found herself wandering the tunnels of Domus Flau. She couldn't help but feel sick after today's events. She was physically ill from the overuse of her powers but was disgusted by how she acted during her fight. On live broadcast. For everyone to see.

"Rin," a voice called. Her eyes shot up from her feet, trying to focus on the figure but found that her sight was blurry. She blinked at them, finally recognizing the presence as Sting. She was confused, but she was in no state to begin an argument. She nodded at him and continued walking toward him. "Everyone's already left the arena. I didn't see you with your guild so I came to check on you."

Rin remained silent and found herself leaning toward the wall for assistance as she became increasingly dizzy, "Rin―hey... Are you okay?" The male approached her, taking note of how weak she looked. He attempted to stand in front of her to stop her from moving, but she gently nudged him aside and continued walking.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine." She leaned further into the wall, her shoulder meeting the cold cobblestone. "Just need a nap." Her legs suddenly gave out from under her. Her knees met harshly with the rough ground alarming Sting immediately. He slid down to her side as she coughed.

"Rin!" He looked at the floor beneath her, finding small patches of blood which he assumed she had coughed up. He brought his gloved hands to her cheeks―without consent to touch her, but he was worried―and inspected her face. She had blood around her mouth which he had connected to the blood on the ground as well as dripping from her nose. Definitely not good. And her eyes were hazy, the usually vibrant purple a dull, dark shade almost blending with her irises.

He held her face gently as she stared down lifelessly. He didn't know what to do other than support her. So, it would have to do for now.

"Masumi," she mumbled through cracked lips.

How dare you use my power for such trivial activities.

"I'm sorry." Without thinking, Rin found her left hand coming up to rest over Sting's. She could feel her body slowly returning to normal. The repercussions were obviously a personal attack against her from within, but it was truly her fault for taking things too far, and for a festival at that. She stared at him, her senses slowly returning to her but not moving as Sting's panicked eyes searched hers for answers.

"Rin." His voice was smooth, like butter. Although he was rough around the edges, Rin could see why everyone fawned over him. She had never been this close to him but he truly was stunning. Even through blurry eyes. And the way he held her together so tenderly―so lovingly―made her stomach flutter. For a moment, it felt so good. It felt so good to be near him. "Is everything okay?"

Her hand suddenly dropped from his and dangled at her side. She closed her eyes and leaned into his touch, savoring the moment before it came to an end. Then, she removed herself from his hold. With her replenished strength, Rin stood back up and fixed her cape so it looked as if she was in perfect condition. "Hey, you can't just walk away after that!"

Sting stood up and watched as she shuffled past him as if nothing had happened. "Rin!"

"You saw nothing," she demanded. He was almost hurt by her suddenly cold demeanor. She wiped at her bleeding nose with the side of her wrist and looked away from him. Sting could only watch as she got further from his reach.

"Don't forget! You owe me a date!" That made her stop in her tracks. What was this boy saying right now?

"I don't remember agreeing to that." She glared at him over her shoulder, her vision still hazy but more clear than before.