XXXVI

The two front doors of the resort burst open as Rin kicked them in from the outside. Noroi and his goons flinched at the sound and remained frozen as Sting and Rin marched inside with straight determination on their faces. Ol' Smokey grunted and shifted his body toward them for a fight but flinched again as Bacchus made a nice, loud entrance from the stairwell beside them. Dragged behind him was the guy with the sword and ice magic, knocked unconscious with a swollen face.

Rin wanted to wince at the sight. She didn't want Bacchus to beat him up that much, jeez...

"Give it up," Sting demanded. "Your trafficking scheme is up. We've already contacted the Council."

"Come with us peacefully, or else." The men snickered at the girl's demanding tone and sneered down at her like she was beneath them.

"Or else what?"

"You'll be taking on two S-Class mages," she threatened. Rin watched as Ol' Smokey scanned his surroundings for an escape. She could tell from his body language that he was planning to make a run for it and leave Noroi behind to take the fall. "I wouldn't if I were you."

"What are you gonna do, huh?"

"My name is Rin, second in command of the 4th Custody Enforcement Unit. I'm a bounty hunter." She began approaching the men. "No matter where you run or how safe you think you may be, I'll be right behind you, just waiting to strike." She had now come within his personal space, glaring up at him. "Either you cooperate with us right now, or I'll be hunting your head for money. Do you understand?"

He took a final puff for his cigar while looking for holes in her demeanor but found none. He blew smoke in her face before letting the lit cigar fall from his lips and to the floor. He reached his hands out in surrender, shocking the quivering Noroi who followed suit after realizing he was screwed. "Good choice."

Rin suddenly looked like a lost puppy at the other two men. "Either of you got cuffs or something? I can't requip my equipment right now," she scratched the back of her head with a chuckle. Everyone including the prisoners rolled their eyes at the girl whilst Leese made her way to find some rope. In the meantime, Sting sidled up next to the brunette, feeling protective over his magic-less girlfriend. He was also still slightly jealous that Bacchus even laid a finger on her.

"Bounty hunter, huh?" Rin looked up at the blonde with furrowed brows. She had forgotten he asked her about her employment before and how she'd avoided telling him. However, she didn't feel so bad about it now that they were closer.

"Uh, yeah... I guess I forgot to mention it." Sting crossed his arms and shrugged.

"It makes sense. You're like a bloodhound with that nose."

"Wow," she deadpanned. "Thank you so much for that compliment on my strength."

"What's your success rate like?" Bacchus interrupted them with a drunken giggle.

"She's never failed, dude." Clearly Sting had been living under a rock as most high-ranking mages knew well of the girl's reputation. Rin smiled smugly and puffed up her chest. "Most people turn themselves in when they find out she's coming for them."

"Yeah... I'm not exactly the nicest Rune Knight."

Sting seemed proud of how strong she was. Even now without magic, he felt like he didn't have to worry about her. Knowing that her name was enough to intimidate people lifted a weight off of his shoulders. That meant that even if they were separated, she'd be just fine.

"The only group I've never been able to track down is the Dark Guild Tartaros. But, I've never gotten a scent to work with or anything like that. It's more of a blind hunt at this point."