XXI

Rin stormed through Sabertooth's inn with Rogue hot on her heels. Everyone stared at the two, scowling at the brunette and cursing their own for daring to bring her in here after what she had done just days before. Hell, they were still repairing the hotel after her and Natsu's rampage. But they paid no mind to the others. They were here for one person and one person only. Plus, Rin didn't give a fuck what some lowlife guild thought of her. They could hate her for all she cares as long as Sting and Rogue knew the truth.

The two headed up to where everyone's rooms resided and the Shadow Dragon Slayer pointed her in the direction of the blonde's hotel room. She went to enter but found herself almost smacking into the door as the deadbolt shut her out. She scoffed and twisted her fingers around with magic, unlocking it from the inside. She swung the door open to a dark room with the blonde sitting on the edge of the bed, head in his hands.

She stared at him for a moment, feeling her heart drop. What had happened to her rambunctious blonde? The shutting of the door startled Sting and his head shot up to find his mate standing awkwardly in the dark.

"Rin...?" The woman nodded, as if she had to confirm her identity. She stepped forward, her fingers tangling together anxiously. She picked at her fingernails, unsure of how to help him. She continued to stare at him, his usually vibrant eyes dull and red from all the crying he had done. It broke her heart.

"Are you okay, Sting?" He dropped his head again, avoiding all eye contact with her. He was both sad and angry, and he was scared that he would accidentally take it out on her. She was irked at his lack of response and moved so that he couldn't avoid her. She settled between his legs, tilting his head up with her hands to look at her.

His stare was fierce when it met hers, she almost questioned what she had done to earn it. However, she maintained her composure, knowing that it wasn't her he was mad at.

"I'm fine," he grumbled. Very obviously a lie. She cocked an unamused brow at him and then crossed her arms.

"You know you can't lie to me." His own brow rose to challenge her tone. "So why do you insist on doing it?"

"I-I'm not lying, Rin." She scoffed in disbelief as he smacked her hands away from his face.

"I've been nothing but honest with you. It's not fair that you can't do the same." The blonde gulped and turned his head away, no longer able to look at her. He wasn't in the right mindset to be with her right now. It hurt her feelings a little bit. "Look, I'm not here to argue with you. I came to make sure you were feeling okay."

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?" Yet another lie, straight through his teeth.

"Right," she drawled. "So, I guess what Rogue told me about Lector wasn't true then. Got it." She took a step away from him, prompting him to stand from his bed. "I'll just leave you to it, then."

"Rin, wait." He reached out and grabbed her hand, not pulling her closer, but just letting her know that he was still here. The real him was still inside but was having trouble coming out. "I'm sorry, I'm not in the best mood today." She nodded her head in understanding. "It's just so frustrating." The brunette closed the distance between them and placed her hand over his heart. He was still in there; she could feel it. "H-How you feel about Minerva... That's how I felt about Jiemma last night.

"I swear, I wanted to kill him." His sapphire eyes were dark and melancholic and his pupils had formed slits like a dragon's. "And now we're gambling with Lector's life."

"Minerva's a wench. And that's why I'm gonna take her down." Sting's eyes narrowed a bit. "You know I have to do it, right? She has caused nothing but despair for everyone in this damn festival. Including you."