VIII

"Where are you taking me~?" The drawl in Rin's voice made Sting wonder just how many drinks she really had. But every time he asked, she would reply with 'not enough'. The blonde jumped slightly, readjusting her position on his back and finding a better grip on her legs. Meanwhile, she was snuggled close to him, taking in the warmth he gave off.

"Stop trying to ruin the surprise," he nagged, "Don't worry, we're almost there." The two settled into a comfortable silence, being oddly relaxed even though they really didn't know each other all that well. In fact, the only things they really knew were that they were both Dragon Slayers and that they were mates. Anything other than that was a mystery. "So, what have you been doing these past few years? I haven't seen you in the games before."

"I've never really cared about them, so I spent all of my free time working for the Council. I'm just here to have fun now that my friends have come back."

"If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for the Council as a Wizard Saint?" Rin gulped. She didn't want to bring up that she single-handedly crushes dark guilds and pretty much runs the authorities. It was their first date after all. Sting took her silence as an answer to his question and chose to move on. "We're here," he cooed. Rin begrudgingly removed herself from Sting's back but continued to cling closely behind him. He wasn't bothered by it in the slightest. In fact, he was loving every second of this.

"What brings you two here so late?" The two guards held their ground, blocking the entrance to Crocus' famous palace gardens.

"We're just here on a casual date guys." The blonde leaned closer to the guards and whispered, "come on, help me out here." While one of the guards remained high-strung, the other stepped back in awe.

"H-Hey, isn't that Sting and Rin from the Grand Magic Games?!" The guards took a closer look, indeed finding the blonde's guild mark on his shoulder.

"You're right!" The guard glanced back and forth to ensure that there was no one around who would get him in trouble. "You guys can walk around for a little bit, but don't go anywhere near the palace." Sting hollered in delight, gripping Rin's hand in the process.

"Thanks guys!" He suddenly pushed past them, dragging the brunette behind him. "Come on, Rin!"

"Slow down," she complained as they turned the corner into the garden but he continued pulling her around. The two passed through rows and rows of shrubbery before stopping in a spot surrounded by millions of flowers. Although Rin wasn't exactly the girly type, she was stunned by the sight of something so beautiful. "Woah..."

"Isn't it amazing?" The brunette pulled her mind away from the flowers and to their two hands still intertwined. She awkwardly pulled hers away and glanced away from him.

"You've been here before?" She stepped closer to the roses, feeling the waxy petals between her calloused fingertips.

"Once or twice." He walked into that without even thinking.

"So, you bring all your dates here?" The blonde choked, startled by the question. Rin side-eyed him. That wasn't a good reaction. She turned to face him fully, the haziness from those drinks finally starting to wear off. Meanwhile, Sting tried to find the right words but she was quick to take that as his response. She huffed, tilting her head and looking down on him.

"I-I've been here with girls, but they weren't dates," he defended. She only squinted harder. "Oh, come on! I had a little female attention―so what?" He knew that what he said was wrong as soon as it had come out of his mouth. "That's not what I―"

Rin began walking away from him, her chin tilted up and her arms once again across her chest. He watched her walk off further into the garden, his blue eyes rolling in disappointment. Of course, he had to say something stupid. "Wait up!" The woman had her fists clenched and a deep set frown on her face. He had a mate and he was going around with other women?

Sting appeared in front of her before she was able to sense his magic. He wrapped a firm around her lower back, trapping her against him.

"Release me!" Her small hands shoved at his chest although it was futile. While she had the upper hand with magic, he was definitely stronger than her physically. And she didn't trust herself using telekinetic magic in her intoxicated state. "Sting!"

"Let me explain," he softly demanded. She gulped, finding herself intimidated by his serious tone. Rin was silent then, not willing to find out what would happen if she defied him. "That came out completely different from what I intended. I swear to you, I'm not like that." His fingers tightened ever so slightly on the edge of her waist. "Please believe me."

Rin bit her lip and found that she couldn't stare into his eyes any longer. Otherwise she might make a rash decision. Her violet eyes instead locked on the man's collarbone, peaking out of his button-up shirt. Why did this man have to be so pretty?

Sting's fingers were suddenly on her chin, lifting her face up to look at him. Her eyes quivered looking at him up close. Her lips parted slightly from shock and she wasn't sure where this was going but she wouldn't stop it without finding out first. "Sorry I ruined our date." Her brows twitched at the unexpected apology―the second of the night. And she could hear it in his heart that he was being sincere.

He really wanted tonight to go well, too.

Rin sighed and suddenly felt her exhaustion catch up to her. Her forehead met with his chest. He stared down at her questioningly. Was she accepting the apology? Was she still mad at him? It wasn't until he felt her hand grip the front of his shirt that he gave out a relieved hum. He hugged her a little closer, enjoying the feeling of her so close to him.

He could stay like this forever. "You're so damn cute. Be my girlfriend?" A vein began throbbing on her head, pushing him away and ruining the moment.

"No way!" She laughed as she attempted to escape his grasp. "We just met!" But his grip remained intact, even when she tried to twist out of his hold.

"We're already mates. Who cares?"

"Sting!"

The blonde pulled her back to him, her back hitting his chest. But the two never broke eye contact and the air was light. They laughed together in the relaxing atmosphere. However, the moment broke as Sting stole a quick peck to her cheek, making her freeze in her spot. But she definitely wasn't upset.

"Want me to walk you home?" Rin looked at her feet in embarrassment, trying to hide how flustered he made her.

"I wouldn't mind." Her feet had suddenly left the ground, Sting literally sweeping her off of her feet. His arms held her tenderly; one on her back and the other behind her knees. She was cradled close to his chest. Now she was definitely flustered.

"Roger that, Princess."