XXVIII

It was the next day and Sting was recounting the recent events with his guildmates in their hotel lobby. Rogue knocked his forehead against the table they sat at, a headache pounding in his skull. Truthfully, there wasn't much to be said about the night before, except for that fact that they were glad it was over.

The elevator in the back of the lobby dinged, signaling that someone was coming down from the rooms. Leese flew out as soon as the doors opened and dropped onto the table right in between the Dragon Slayers.

"Leese," Sting murmured under his breath so that only they could hear. "Is Rin awake yet?" It was a little past noon and the blonde had yet to hear from her.

"Yeah, she's awake." The two males took note that she sounded a little concerned. "But..."

"What's wrong?"

"She's acting really strange." Sting cocked a brow at the exceed's frown. "She's just sitting there, staring out the window. And when I asked her if she okay she didn't answer―" Sting shot up from his seat, prompting her to follow him to the elevator.

"I'll go talk to her."

"And what if she doesn't talk back?"

"Don't worry. I'll handle it." Sting hit the button and quickly stepped into the elevator. "Stay with Rogue."

Before Leese could continue to argue with the man, the doors had shut him inside and he was carried up to his floor where Rin waited patiently. To say Sting was nervous was an understatement. If Rin wouldn't talk to Leese, what made him think she'd say a word to him? Sting's heart pounded with every step he took down the hall. Especially after the words they had shared the day before. Even if she did say something to him, it'd probably be about staying away from her.

When he finally made it to his room, he took a deep breath and opened the door to a dimly lit room. The female was sitting exactly how Leese said she was; staring out the window and not moving. "Rin?" The girl's body tensed ever so slightly at the sound of his voice.

"Sting?" The blonde shut the door behind him, slowly approaching her where she sat.

"Is everything okay?" He inched a bit closer; enough that he could see the outline of her profile. "Leese came down and said―"

"No." Hearing her voice tremble, he could now clearly make out the reflection of tears falling down her cheeks. Sting moved a bit closer looking at her directly from her left side. Rin turned her head to meet his gaze, her tears falling heavier than before. "You were right," she choked a laugh. "Fate was wrong about us... About everything."

Sting's brows furrowed at her words, his own heart squeezing at the fact. "There's no such thing as being mates, Sting." His teeth grit in frustration.

"How can you say that after everything that's happened?"

"Why do you think we're the only ones like this?!" Rin huffed, balling her fists up in her lap. "How come the others don't have this kind of attraction to someone like we do? It's not because fate wants us to live happily ever after." Sting gulped at her sarcastic tone. "Whatever happened to us as kids... Wherever us Dragon Slayers came from... The only reason you and I feel this way is because we share DNA."

Sting's anger shifted to that of confusion. Was she trying to convince him that they were somehow related? Rin could see the gears shifting in his head, scoffing at his idiocy and shaking her head. "We're not siblings, Sting."

"Then what the hell are we? I don't see why any of this matters, anyway."

"Because everything we know about each other is a lie! Don't you get it? Our DNA got mixed somehow and that's the only reason we're attracted to each other."