Cherry Blossoms (Official Chapter)

Later that night Dessiah sat in front of her laptop with a sleeping Delaney behind her in bed. She decided to check her emails and see Delaney's graduation video. Her cell phone buzzed she smiled at the call from Detrick.

"Good Evening." She answered.

"It is now." He replied in a low deep tone.

"Haha corny. Hi Detrick."

"Why do I have to be corny? Why can't I be charming?"

"Try and be more charming and less corny then I'll call you charming."

"It's always a pleasure speaking to you Siah." He said sarcastically.

"Haha I bet. What are you doing up so late anyway?"

"I was up thinking about you." Detrick couldn't get Dessiah off of his mind. Whether she was around him or far away, she was a consistent thought.

"What were you thinking?" Dessiah became intrigued by his thoughts of her. It was like he was determined to learn her. To see the side of her reserved only for God and her child.

"Well, I was thinking about where I'm planning on taking you this weekend and also why you didn't want to tell Delaney about us." Dessiah sighed heavily. When they took Delaney to lunch earlier that day she decided against telling her about their new found relationship. Although Detrick didn't push the topic, he definitely had an issue but felt it would be inappropriate to bring up in front of Delaney.

"Detrick, I'm excited about there being an "us" as you are. But it's still new and before I go and get my daughters hopes up about what could be, I need to be sure about what "is". Do you understand?"

"I understand. I have a question for you. Are you all in or not?"

"What do you mean? Detrick I agreed to us being together."

"Agreeing to us being together isn't even half the battle Dessiah. I need to know that you are going to be invested emotionally. I know we've only just begun and it's going to take time. I don't doubt that but I just need to know that at some point you are prepared to give me all of you."

"Yes. One day I will but we need to take it really, really, really, really slow."

"Alright." He said a bit too dry for Dessiah's liking.

"Detrick you're not mad are you?"

"No I'm not mad. I just don't want to be out here in my feelings by myself. I'm just being honest."

"You won't be. You're not, but Detrick understand that I can't just open all the way up to you and tell my daughter about you when everything is still new."

"Its not just that Dessiah. I'm not stupid. I don't expect this to be an overnight thing. I just... I..-"

"What?" Detrick sighed as he noticed that this was quickly escalating into an argument. When all he wanted to do is express that he knows what it's like to be hurt also. He always seems to be in situations with women where he opens up and it's never returned in the same measure. Just as Dessiah was afraid of opening up he was afraid of being hurt and disappointed again. It seemed like people forget that men are people too and hurt just like women do. But he was taking a chance.

"Nothing. Look I'm going to let you go and get some rest. I'll talk to you in the morning."

"Detrick...wait."

"Goodnight Dessiah." He hung up the phone and Dessiah was completely offended. What was he trying to say? She called back because he needed to know that was uncalled for but he didn't answer the phone. She had a mind to send him a text but the act that he just ignored her call would me that she was bound to say things that she had no business saying. So she left it alone. She went to lay in bed and relax but twenty minutes later she found herself staring at the ceiling and decided to finally watch Delaney's graduation video. Checking her her main email there was nothing there. She checked the alternate email and found more that she bargained for. There were over fifty emails from a Roosevelt James. He was her grandmothers lawyer and helped at least until Dessiah gave control to her husband. From her understanding he was handling everything for him. Dessiah skimmed through each email and found that he was adamant about speaking with her and had been for almost a year. Although he hadn't gone into detail about what needed to be discussed but just expressed the urgency to meet. Dessiah sighed heavily with embarrassment and shame coursing through her veins. She would be forced to explain to a man who knew her grandmother personally, that she had lost everything her grandmother had worked for because she was distraught and trusted the wrong person; her husband.