To Follow A Dream or Not To Follow A Dream?

Delaney in picture

    After stuffing herself with unlimited servings of Pancakes she decided it was time to go and pick Delaney up from school. Although it was still early for her dismissal Dessiah didn’t want to waste any more time. Walking down the decorated halls she made her way to the office and signed her out while an attendant went to claim Delaney.

“Hi mommy!” Delaney greeted excitedly running in her mother’s arms.

“Hi baby I missed you. Are you ready to go home?”

“Am I? Mama I was ready to go home when you dropped me off this morning.” She said taking Dessiahs hand leading her out of the office.

“Hahaha. Well let’s go then baby. Dessiah laughed to herself.

    After Delaney ran down the events of her short day there was a thick silence between them. Dessiah knew that she needed to talk to Delaney about the promotion and how she would feel. She believed that just because Delaney was a child was not a valid reason for her to not be included in decisions that would affect her as well.

“Mommy are you okay?” Dessiah asked concerned.

“Yes, baby I’m fine. Why do you ask?”

“Because you’re so quiet and you’re only quiet when you have something you want to say or mad.” Dessiah looked at Delaney in shock. Did she know her that well? How was she so observant at such a young age? Only months from her 6th birthday and not one moment goes by without Dessiah being amazed by Delaney’s understanding and bold personality. After many mistakes made in her life she felt Delaney was the only thing she did right.

“Well your right I do have something to tell you.”

“What?” Delaney looked at her mother intently.

“I spoke with my boss today and I was offered a promotion.”

“What’s a promotion?”

“It’s a higher position, or let’s say a job in the same company that allows me more responsibility and money.”

“Ohhh More money! I like it already. How much a million dollars?”

“Haha no baby not that much but more than I’m making now. It’s a great opportunity but…. Well,…-“

“Mommy spit it out before I’m 30 please?”

“Hey, watch it!” She responded with authority.

“I’m just saying my oatmeal cooks faster than you telling me what you’re trying to say.”

“It’s in Japan.”

“Like Mulan?” Delaney asked.

“Mulan was in china but close though. It’s across the world and I would have to be gone for three months.”

“What about me?”

“Well you only have two more months of school. Since they aren’t having your graduation you can come out there with me on the last day of school and stay for the remainder. But I haven’t decided because I wanted to talk to you first. We don’t have to go I mean I know you would miss your friends in the summer.”

“I don’t have any friends so that wouldn’t be a problem.”

“Yes you do what about Ashley?”

“She hasn’t proven that she is a real friend to me. So until she does she will remain a classmate. Mommy do you want to go?”

“I mean it doesn’t matter to me I just want you to be comfortable.”