One Loss, One Unexpected Surprise(Chapter)

Enjoy and Light those comments up!!!

        Dessiah stood over the stove mashing the potatoes with milk and butter. As promised she prepared dinner for Delaney and Detrick. When he picked her up from the airport earlier she made sure to have enough make up and concealer to cover her scars. The hat she wore helped her disguise. Detrick hugged her tight which made her quickly pop a pill when he wasn't looking. She explained to him all that took place, minus the beating or divorce papers. He was relieved that all had gone well and she had what was stolen. Over lunch they made future plans to go to New Orleans and clean house. Dessiah hadn't decided if she would live in the home full time or just as a vacation. There were too many memories in that home that she would like to forget and living there full time meant leaving Detrick.

       Dessiah felt somewhat at ease since everything had been under control. Thus far everything had gone as planned. Now it was just time for Detrick and Delaney to come home. She opened the pot with sautéed cube steak to flip them. Her pot of gravy was almost done and the string beans were still boiling. Last thing left to do was the honey cornbread. She decided to do that last so it would be warm and fresh once they got home. Mr. Roberts had sent her a text informing her that he would update Dessiah on the case once he received new information. Darryl and Teresa should be seen for arraignment within 72 hours.

     An hour later Delaney burst through the door searching for her mother. She hugged her tight and once again Dessiah hissed in pain. Detrick noticed from a distance but didn't question her as of yet. They enjoyed the meal she prepared and spent the rest of the evening watching movies on Netflix. Detrick sat in the middle of the couch with Delaney resting in his arms on one side and Dessiah doing the same on the other. He watched them sleep peacefully with the pace of their breath mirroring each other. Detrick smiled because he felt so complete with the two of them close to him. He sat there silently praying over them. "Lord God I want to thank you these precious beings you have brought into my life. From the first day Lord that I met them I was forever changed. Father please cover them in the blood of Jesus from the top of their heads to the bottom of their feet. Lord help me to be the man you need me to be for them. The husband and father you ordain for them to have. Lord God open Dessiah up to me more in Jesus name. I know she has been through so much and I don't want to hurt her, Lord I just want to love her. That's all. I want to show her the love you've shown me. The love I have inside that I've never really been able to give fully. Everyone before her was so underserving, but Dessiah deserves all that you have instilled in me to give. Whatever she is not telling me that I should know, please bring it to the light so that we can move forward. I'm sure it's minor. I doubt Dessiah would keep something big from me. I thank you for all that you have done for us. The ways that you have made Father God. I give you praise and Glory in Jesus name I pray. Amen." Detrick rested his head back on the couch and closed his eyes with his favorite girls where they belonged, next to his heart.

A couple Days later

Dessiah was preparing lunch for Detrick to take to work for the next day when she noticed she didn't have her cellphone. She became frantic when it wasn't in its usual place. She looked under the couch, between the cushions, and in her purse. Still nothing. "DELANEYY!!"Dessiah yelled out.

"Yes mommy?" Delaney came into the living room in her fresh pajamas for bed. "Have you seen my phone?" Dessiah asked.

"No mommy I haven't." Delaney answered innocently.

"Delaney are you sure?" She nodded. "So you didn't take my phone to play games?" Dessiah accused.

"No mommy I haven't seen your phone since we were in the store." Dessiah threw her head back. Delaney was right, the last time she had her phone they were in Lane Bryant that morning. She looked at the time and it was about 7 o'clock pm and would take her at least an hour and a half to get across town in traffic. They closed at 9pm maybe she could make it.

"Detrick can I use your phone babe?"

"Yea boo it's on the counter in the kitchen." He yelled out from the bedroom. Dessiah googled the store number and was able to get the manager on the line. They had her phone at the register but it was dead. Which explained why it went to voicemail when she called it. The woman agreed to hold it for her until she arrived.

"De I'm gonna run out but I'll be back."

"Where you going babe?" Detrick asked as Delaney climbed next to him with her teddy bear in her arm.

"I left my cellphone at the store so I gotta go pick it up. I know there's going to be traffic so I might be a while."

"Okay."

"Delaney you need to be in bed by 9pm young lady."

"But mom there's no school tomorrow." Delaney whined.

"Didn't you want to go to work with Detrick tomorrow?" Delaney smiled bright.

"Oh yea! Okay mom. I'll be asleep by the time you get home." Delaney smirked. That just meant whatever time she walked in the door Delaney was gonna hop in her bed. Detrick winked at Delaney catching her drift.

"Hey! I'm not kidding you two! Nine o'clock and not a minute later."

"Okay." They answered in unison. Dessiah smiled kissing them both she was out the door.

////////////////////////////////

Dessiah definitely timed it right, she made it to the store an hour and a half later. She raced into the store. "I'm here. I made it." The cashier looked at her and smiled remembering her from before.

"Hi. What can I do for you?"

"Hi..." Dessiah greeted nearly out of breath. "...I'm here to pick up my cellphone I left here. It's a Samsung note with a purple cover."

"Alright I'll check." The woman went to the back and quickly returned with the phone.

"Thank you so much. You're a life saver."

"No problem. Enjoy your day."

"Thanks." Dessiah raced back to the car and immediately put her phone on the charger. It had zero percent so it would need some time to turn on.

///////////////

"Daddy can I have some cheez- its please?" Delaney asked.

"Yes."

"Thank you. Can you get them for me?"

"Where are they?"

"Mommy keeps them on the top cabinet above the refrigerator because she doesn't like to share." Detrick chuckled. Delaney followed him into the kitchen and even he couldn't reach it.

"Dang! Your mama doesn't play about her cheez-its. I can't even reach them baby."

"Please Daddy. I want to finish watching Annie with my snack."

"I can't reach them its way back there." Detrick was raised on his tippy toes trying to grab the box but it was out of his reach.

"What about the broom?" Delaney suggested. He smirked at how determined she was for her snack. He went into Dessiah bathroom closet to look for the broom when he heard a knock at the door.

"It's probably mommy. I'll get it."Delaney ran down the hall to the door quickly.

"Delaney wait!" Detrick yelled out but she had already opened the door.

"Hey Delaney." The guest greeted.

////////////////////////

Dessiah sat parked in her car charging her phone and was finally able to turn it on. Soon she saw countless text messages coming in from Mr. Roberts to call him. She checked her voicemail and heard the same request.

"Hey Mr. Roberts it's me Dessiah."

"I've been calling you all day!"

"I'm so sorry I left my phone at the store."

"Well Dessiah I wanted to let you know that..."

/////////////////////////////

Detrick came up behind Delaney noticing the voice wasn't her mothers.

"Hi can I help you?" Detrick asked.

"Yea! Who are you?"

"I'm Detrick. And you are?"

"I'm her father Darryl!