Chapter 5

"Home really Maya home. This ain't your home because no one be would willing to and destroy a home. Their home. Their family. But I guess that's just the way you are built huh eyes forward, embrace the pain. Just like your daddy says right!!! Always make sure your the one on top. This is not your home this is my home. I. AM. MEANT. TO. BE. CAPTAIN. Not you. Me. Maya you will never have a family or be happy because all you know what to do is take something that is good and break it. You don't know when things are good enough to leave the way they are. No you have to push to get what YOU want even at the cost of others. You'll ruin it just like you ruined this firehouse. This family. A family that my father built. I am done I am done staying quiet. I.." Andy screamed out in front of the team towards Maya.

Maya however stopped her with a hand in the air and softly spoke "okay" taking a deep breath Maya closed her eyes and felt her heart start to race. Trying to stop a panic attack coming on, going through the steps she and Carina talked about and practiced multiple times. It took her a few minutes but she did it feeling proud of herself she opened her eyes and saw the team looking at her with a range of emotions she couldn't quite figure out.

Feeling the confidence come back to her she began to speak " okay a couple of things, I am not the same Maya as you all knew three months ago. I have changed and I am happy. First things first you don't think I haven't heard what you all say about me, how I'm not fit for the job. How I stole it from Andy. How that I might be struggling with the pressure of the paper work. The reason I had so much paperwork is because I had to fend off the chief because the 4 alarm we had last month brought some attention to our station. Yes I say our because it is still as much as mine as it is yours. It wasn't to good kind attention guys. A captain, I won't say what station, had heard from his men about the talk you guys were saying about me how you didn't trust my calls which if you didn't know weren't my calls we weren't the first on the scene they happened to be another captain calls which you questioned which cost us valuable time. All of this got back to the chief the cost he had after that was to see if any of the members from 19 needed transferred to a different station. I convinced the chief that we were still all adjusting and with help from Captain Herrera and Battalion Chief Sullivan you all stayed. The second thing is and this is something you will all listen to very very carefully" Maya was rilled up but still somewhat calm which scared them bar jack who looked like he didn't care. He still thought he would have been better and no one could tell him otherwise.

With each step she took toward her team her face got cold and so did her voice.

"There is a rule I am going to place and you will all do your best to abide by it. Do not mention 'eyes forward' or 'embrace the pain' around me ever. That man is no longer in my life and he will never be back in my life. Understood??"

"UNDERSTOOD??"

"YESS CAPTAIN" they all shouted agreeing back scared of what would happen to them if they didn't.

"Good now go and get some sleep, I'm sure you are just as tired as I am" and with that Maya walked away.

"I don't know about any of you guys but I am not sleeping after that. She actually scared me. Like literally terrified me" Vic said shaking looking around seeing the same expression on everyone's face.

"Yeah uhh I'm gonna head to the beanery I need a glass of water. Or something stronger" Andy mentioned slowly making the first move as everyone watched her taking a step. They quietly made their way past the Captains office and up the stairs to the beanery.

With hot chocolates all around as it was either too late or too early to have coffee they sat in silence.

"This is a joke right. Come on do you really think that Olympic Gold Medalist Maya Bishop really cut her dad off from her life. Come on. And who is she to say what we can and can't say around her. This is bullshit. I'm heading to bed. See you in the morning" Jack scoffed and sauntered away to his bunk.