Chapter 13

Like all good things they must come to an end...

The alarm went off a restaurant kitchen fire. The team raced down to to the barn and headed off to put the fire out. Unfortunately it wasn't an easy one there was so much grease feeding the fire, a few staff members had extreme burns all over their bodies. One which died on route to Grey Sloan. The fire took the team 4 hours to put out. As they made their way back to the station it was coming up to around dinner time and they were all drained and ready for food.

Meanwhile back at the station the alarm had woken up the mother and son duo. Maya could've cursed up a storm but when she realised that they had slept for a good hour she was pleased that Matteo got some rest. Even if it wasn't for very long.

As Matteo heard the trucks pull out on route to the restaurant he sat up, manoeuvring his way onto Maya before he could speak he went into a coughing session.

"Mommy can I ask a question?" He asked once he recovered.

"Of course you can ask me anything, what is it?"

"Can I go down the fire pole?" Matteo pulled out his best puppy dog eyes knowing the blonde always fell for them.

Chuckling slightly she answered "Ohhh bubba don't look at me like that. Okay how about I make you a deal?" Getting a nod in response she continued. "How about next time you come to the station when you are feeling so much better and don't have this nasty cough we can go down the pole. Huh what do you think about that?"

"You promise?" He asked sticking out his pinky.

"I promise."

"Can I ask another question?"

"Another one oh my goodness, you are just full of questions aren't you" she tickled him as she spoke but quickly stopped as he started coughing again.

"Mommy can I have some toast?"

"Yes, you feeling hungry?" Nodding his head at his mommy who had a smile on her face. This was the first sign of the little Italian getting better. His little appetite was coming back. "Yay okay let's go and get some food into this belly of yours. Oh and maybe we can call Mama?"

Walking into the beanery setting him on the island, knowing and trusting him that he will stay there. "We see mama on the phone?"

"Yep let's call her now and see if she picks up" pulling her phone out of her back pocket a clicks Carina's name. It's didn't even 3 rings before the call goes through.

"Ahhh hi Bella, how are you? How's our bambino?"

"Hi beautiful, we are good I am just making the little monster some toast. Here he's here" giving the phone to Matteo as she put some bread in the toaster.

"Ciao Bambino"

"Hello mama, mommy's making me some toast" he waved back at his mama who was smiling.

"She is wow. I... Merda" Carina swore as she got paged. The mama she was looking after was finally ready to push.

"Carina that's..." cutting Maya off the brunette rushes out

"Si si I know I know but I have to go now I love you both and bambino enjoy your toast" blowing a kiss into the phone as she made her way out of her office.

"Si bye mama" Matteo waved and the call ended before Maya could even say I love you back.

"Okay some toast and your juice"

"No mommy, I want milk" he said as he lifted a bit of buttered toast to his mouth. Sighing and way to tired to argue Maya got Matteo his milk.

Getting tired again Matteo whined wanting more cuddles after he finished his toast. Picking him up the blonde walked into the room off the kitchen. Putting on the tv "bubba you want to watch Lion King?" Only getting a nod in response while he continues to drink from his bottle of milk.