Chapter 10

Maya walked around the apartment getting everything ready for work like a zombie, after 4 nights of hardly any sleep she was struggling. Carina ran into the kitchen. "Maya we have a problem."

"Matteo, what, is he okay? Are you okay?"

"Si si si, he uhh he's fine but I just got called in can you take him today. He obviously can't be in daycare with the way he is feeling and I wouldn't want him there. Plus he'd just want to be with you or me anyway."

"Carina I have to go to work. At the station." Maya started to breathe heavier. "Car the team they still hate me. I want to introduce you both to them, you know I do but they don't even accept me yet. How would they, why would they accept my family. I'm scared"

"Okay it's okay. Breathe bambina. We got this. I can call Andrea I...can uhh call..."

"No. Stop. You know what screw them you are more important. Both of you are. I can take him. He's coming with me. Yeah. Dean he brings Pru in all the time, right. So if he can take his daughter then why can't I take my son. Yeah you know what you go to work. Bailey will kill you if you keep her waiting too long and I will, I will get a few changes of clothes, some toys, his medicine and yeah I got this." she rambled processing everything out loud and making a mental list of what she needs with her today. Briefly kissing Carina on the lips almost missing her she walked to Matteo's room. The doctor shook her head stopping Maya by her hand for a proper kiss.

"Breathe okay, I love you. I'm proud of you and you call me for anything. You here me. I mean anything, promise. You got this."

"Yeah I promise. I love you too baby" with that Carina was gone. "Okay I got this, just like Carina said, I can do this. I got this." Maya was muttering away to herself as she picked up everything she'll need for herself and Matteo for the day.

Being back and forth between both apartments half of Carinas was in Mayas and half of Mayas was in Carinas. Their friends at the hospital didn't know why they didn't just move into together already as they spend pretty much every night together but they understood the couple enough to not interfere and let them go at their own pace.

Picking up a sleepy Matteo, Maya locked up and made her way to the car. It was a little early for work even for the blonde who likes to be there before her team but she knew she'd have to get her little man settled.

Once at the station she parked up and took a couple minutes to breathe. The only people who knew about her life outside of the station was Ben and Travis. Ben knew because of Miranda and Travis well that was because of the incident at the park, something Carina still gives him the eye for when he drops off patients.

Making her way into the station, glad that no one decided to show up early. She put everything down just as she heard a little voice "mommy I be sick" with wide eyes, glad she had a toilet in the office she got there just in time as Matteo let everything out. Not that there was much in his little stomach.

Changing his shirt as it got a little messed up she swayed around her bunk getting him off to sleep and lying him down.

Looking at her watch she realised just how much time she had spent and was needing to give the team their orders for the day.

Not even having the time to change into her uniform she walked out the office. "19 line up" speaking as loud as possible trying not to wake the sleeping three year old.

Noticing their captain not in her uniform, giving each other confused faces.

Running her hands down her face and threw her hair she spoke "Uhh right so Cutler, Montgomery Warren Gibson engine. Hughes and uhh Miller aid car the rest ladder. Umm yeah that pretty much it today guys. I do request that..."

"Captain chores?" Andy cut her off.

"Oh right, shit yeah, ummm look guys no chores today just keep things tidy if you see something that needs done or fixing do it. But what I was going to say was that Herrera will be acting captain of field calls and will report back to me. Now if you excuse me I need to get changed. Warren my office 10 minutes please" and with that she walked off.

"Umm what just happened?" Vic questioned

"Guys please just leave her alone she's had a rough weekend she hasn't..." Ben got interrupted by a call from Miranda. "It's Miranda, just please give her a break today" he walked away answering his phone leaving the team more confused about their captain.

"Did you know you were going to be captain today?" Gibson asked a little annoyed wondering why he couldn't do it.

"No not a clue" Andy was just as shocked as everyone else. She stood there trying to think of what was going through her Captains mind. What was this? A test? No it couldn't be could it.

"So we have no chores?" Dean asked.

"Nope it doesn't look like it, anyway uhh why don't you guys go up and get breakfast" Andy suggested wanting to talk to her captain. Mostly to see if she was alright. She's never seen Maya so flustered. Is flustered the right word. Probably not but it's only word Andy could think of at the moment.

"Don't have to tell me twice" Gibson walked away rubbing his hands together with Dean and Vic.

Seeing Andy walk towards the captains office Travis didn't know what she was going to say but knew he had to speak up "Hey Andy I know where your going. What are you going to say to her?".

"I am going to ask her if she's okay Trav. I'm...what, why are looking at me like that?"

"Be nice, I mean it. Ben wasn't kidding about her having a rough weekend?" And with that he left joining the rest of the team in the beanery

"Right what the hell is going on?" Andy muttered to herself confused at not only her captain but Ben and Travis. How'd the know what was going on with her former friend.

Not bothering to knock Andy walked in but what she saw shocked her.